Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,161   Online: 1033

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like light may be leaking around or through the bottom left part of the shutter, and in that corner spot on the upper left of the film gate. The more extreme example seems to follow the pattern of the less extreme example. Looks like there are four leaky spots, and the severity of the blobs depends on how long and in what light the camera sits between shots.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    My friend had same kind of effect in his russian camera. Try to get some solution which to apply to the shutter curtain in a thin layer... hopefully it fixes the problme. If not, buy a new camera, it's not like they're very expensive :-D

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I won't bother trying to repair the Zenit B unless you have very good reason for using this camera. Get a Pentax Spotmatic instead, they uses the same M42 lens as the Zenit and are reasonably cheap almost everywhere.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The longitudinal form of the artefacts in the right photo made me think they were caused by a leak in a moving shutter cloth passing a cone of strong light. But then they should only be seen in highlight areas.

Thus I guess they are produced as 2F/2F hinted at, statically by stray light in the mirror chamber entering through horizontal slit-like holes in the cutain cloth caused by one or two vertical threads ruptured.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used these to fill holes on a Pentacon F shutter curtain and a Nikon S shutter curtain. It works very well.

I've also used Liquid Electrical Tape and didn't like the results at all, because the shutter curtains became too stiff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I'm using a Crayola fabric marker to fill shutter pinholes. I like this product because it works and the shutter curtain remains very pliable.
    I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but I figured it's better that the answer, if one turns up, be with the original thread in the archive.

I bought some of the Crayola Fabric Markers for this, and reading the instructions I note that it says one should iron the fabric, or if not possible then throw it in a cloths dryer for half an hour.

Well, obliviously I'm not going to put a rangefinder in a dryer for half an hour.

So what have others done to cure the marker material? Use a hair dryer? Just let it dry for a few days?

Seems to me from the description on the package that heat is almost required to get satisfactory setting of the material.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 10-10-2011 at 08:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Heat lamp, blow dryer, or just stick it on a windowsill on a hot day (or stick it on the dash of your car if you're at home, so you won't have folks breaking in to take it).

It also could be some kind of lense issue, but seeing that the public opinion is light leak I'll hold off until you see what results you get with your fix.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    Heat lamp, blow dryer, or just stick it on a windowsill on a hot day (or stick it on the dash of your car if you're at home, so you won't have folks breaking in to take it).

It also could be some kind of lense issue, but seeing that the public opinion is light leak I'll hold off until you see what results you get with your fix.
    Well,I'm not the OP, so I'm not sure what his original problem turned out to be. I found the thread because I absolutely do have a pinhole on the shutter curtain.

I guess, since the camera is probably 50-60 years old, that a little wear is allowed.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin