Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,431   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Can anyone tell me why my camera is doing this?

I recently bought a Zenit B and have just been playing around with it. My first roll came out fine, but the most recent negatives came out with these marks on it (see attachments). Not every photo came out like this and only one photo came out with the crazy what-appears-to-be-light-leak spread across the majority of the photo.
    What do you think? Light leaks? Dust?
    I don't particularly hate this new 'effect' but I don't want these marks to be on every future photos I take with the camera.

Thanks heaps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A550632-R1-12-13.jpg   A550632-R1-14-11.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    SInce they are mostly at the top, and the pattern are similar in both frames, my first guess would be pinholes in the shutter curtain.

Shooter
    35mm
    So how were these pinholes created throughout the duration of the start to the end of the film? I don't understand how that can happen so quickly..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Does a Zenit have a cloth shutter? If so, I also think these are some pretty serious pinholes in the shutter curtain.

My theory is that the moment the mirror swings out of the way (and the curtains are still stationary) the "holes" are burned, and then, as the curatins start to accelerate, we see the "smearing" for a short time, until they move too fast to have an appreciable effect on the film anymore.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah it has a cloth shutter. What you're saying sounds pretty correct.
    What can I do now? Is there a way to fix the problem? Perhaps I should just buy another Zenit B...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Though pinholes more typically appear in cloth shutters which are exposed to light (rangefinders, the second curtain of non-instant-return-mirror SLRs).

I've had pinholes in the past and they were usually "sharper". Anyway, *if* you can lift up the Zenit's mirror (carefully, gently!), look at both shutter curtains against the light. Even not lifting the mirror out of the way, you should be able to see something against very bright light.

My own candidate would be a more simple light leak... Are the film edges and sprocket holes also affected?
    Last edited by Rol_Lei Nut; 10-26-2010 at 04:32 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos! :-(
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked, the film edges and sprocket holes are not affected at all. Hm.
    I can't check if there are pinholes as there is currently a film in the camera, but will do so as soon as I finish it.
    What do you suggest I do about it?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You should remove the film now. If those pinholes are still there, they will affect any photos that you've taken on this roll and any future photos.

The best way to check this is to get a flash light and go into a darkened room. Open the camera back and remove the lens, lift the mirror and shine the light through the lens mount. Any pinholes in the shutter will be immediately visible.

I'm using a Crayola fabric marker to fill shutter pinholes. I like this product because it works and the shutter curtain remains very pliable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, thank you heaps
    Where do you find these Crayola fabric markers? I live in Australia and have never heard of them.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Crayola is a famous maker of the best quality Crayons here in the states, every child grows up knowing the name and adults still remember it when they have children, but enough history on the Crayola name. Crayola is owned by a company called Binny-Smith, that may or may not be exporting to Australia, or you may have a similar company there. Here is a link to the Crayola fabric marker web page http://www.crayola.com/products/list...gories=MARKERS you can find these types of things in craft shops.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin