Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,920   Posts: 1,584,813   Online: 1085

Shooter
    Multi Format

Retina IIIc Repair??

This past weekend my Retina IIIc jammed or locked up with a cassette of Kodachorme in it - alas! Dean Williams of Idaho had done a CLA on it in April 2008 (he isn't taking new work because of health problems) and I'd run several cassettes through it. That f2 Xenon is a gem!

I'm unable to release the shutter or advance the film, except by using the counter reset plunger near the shutter. Then the film can be advanced, and the shutter opens and closes very slowly.

Anyone know of a good repair source? The IIIc is otherwise in beautiful condition, and I managed to score the bayonet lens hood and an everready case which looks almost brand new. I'd like to get this little gem back in service.

Many thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zack's camera repair in Providence RI did a great job on my Retina II

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps time for a trip to New Zealand: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning;

Mike Elek on the APUG Forum has a measure of experience with that camera also. He may be able to provide more current suggestions. The main one I can suggest is the fellow in New Zealand, as MGB mentioned.

Also, you spoke of a roll of Kodachrome in the camera at this time. Please remember, Duane's Photo in Parsons, Kansas, has the last remaining operational K-14 Kodachrome film processing machine in the world, and they have promised that they will keep it going until 2010 December 31, or another two (2) months. This is the last time that you will be able to get those "nice bright colors" processed into visible slides. The K-14 Process is not something that you can do at home.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi

I can recommend Chris Sherlock. Just had my IIIS take a holiday from UK to NZ and back. Well pleased.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    sounds very much as if the shutter cocking is gone, it a weakness with all lever wind retinas,and a simple repair, you can either get a cocking rack from Chris Sherlock and if you feel confident follow the advice on his website,but if you are not 100% sure it is not worth attempting it yourself,send it to Chris and let him work his magic, he has repaired a couple of retinas for me, including a cocking rack, and I have nothing but praise,you have a very good camera there and it is well worth getting it repaired,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Harry Muller fixed my IIIc
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Chris Sherlock--he has done a IIIC and a IIIS for me, and the results were excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, I think Dean Williams is working again. The notice is gone from his website and he CLA'd a ContinaMatic for me last year. You might try contacting him at deanw@bmi.net.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin