Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,581,985   Online: 858

Shooter
    35mm

Question for DSLR users

I am curious about the longevity of DSLRs. I know that the various companies encourage "upgrading" from last year's (last WEEK's?) models. Are these cameras really in need of replacement? Do they go belly-up after a period of time? I know that my Nikon N80 is supposedly rated for 1,000 rolls of film, and then, I suppose, it is dead in the water. (I think I'm safe from it blowing up on me any time soon.) But how about a DSLR?

Is it necessary to replace them because of equipment failure, or is equipment failure unlikely, if the camera isn't abused? Should I be able to enjoy using one for several years, given care, or not?

Just curious.

What has been your experience?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some last for a long time, others don't. There's just more parts to go wonky on a DSLR than (most) film SLR's.

What usually blows on a DSLR is the shutter. Like I said, there's a myriad of things to go wrong on them, but as a moving part that's a common one.

Other issues like bumps, dropping etc. would happen to any camera, film or digi, and depend on how solidly built your model is (by way of explanation, I use digital in my job, and once had a strap break on me...dropping my Nikon D2Hs to the concrete 4 feet below. As a 'pro' camera solidly built, the only thing wrong was a cracked body casing and a prism that had to be re-aligned)

Shooter
    35mm
    DSLR's are typically rated for a certain amount of shutter cycles. typically 50 to 300k depending on the camera. As this is a digital subject it doesn't bear further discussion on APUG.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin