Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,734   Posts: 1,515,366   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon lenses

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Stick with the OM system. Ok, the Nikon build quality is marginally better than Olympus but, unless you're a total klutz, it won't matter. Besides second hand Olympus gear is cheaper than Nikon and it's much less likely to have been run into the ground by a pro. Lot's of amateurs bought Olympus, because of the heavy advertising, but hardly ever used it.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timk View Post
    Hi all, I'm looking to ebay all of my 35mm cameras and focus on a single system. I want some advice on what Nikon lenses I should get if I decide to go with Nikon, I currently use an Olympus OM system and I find the lenses are excellent (I may opt to stay with oly but haven't made my mind up yet).

So, I have a Nikon F4s but only a 50mm f/1.8

I'd like:
    - a fast 50mm lens (to replace the zuiko 50/1.4)
    - a portrait lens ~100mm (to replace the zuiko 100/2.8)
    - a wide zoom lens (to replace the zuiko 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8)
    - a macro lens (something to replace the zuiko 50mm f/3.5 macro)
    - a long lens 200-300mm (to replace the zuiko 200 f/4, 300mm f/5.6)

So, It has to be better than the zuiko gear, lens speed needs to be equal or faster

I'm not fussed about whether they are auto or manual focus.

I'll probably have $3k to spend on lenses I estimate after I sell up all my olympus bodies and lenses.

So, suggestions?
    I made the same switch in 1990. (OM to F4s). I was growing my skills from casual people photography to a mix of people , sports, and nature photography, and Olympus didn't have anything suitable for covering sports. The aftermarket lens options new and used continue to be a good reason to use Nikon. And if you end up going digital as well, several of the DSLRs maintain the ability to use manual lenses.

Your options as suggested by me of things I've used or owned or own.
    for normal 50mm 1.4d-af or Voigtlander 40sl2 (manual and expensive and worth it), or 50 1.2 AIS (expensive but not quite as sharp as the 1.4, good for a little softness wide open)
    for portrait 105 2.5 AI/AIS or 105 2.0 dc d-af (expensive and worth it)
    for wide 28-70 2.8 ed-if-afs zoom (expensive and worth it) or 35-70 af zoom cheaper but good
    for macro 55 3.5 AI
    for long 70-300 ED AF or used 300 2.8 from Tokina or Nikon.

I've owned 1990's version of 28-70 2.8af Tokina and 80-200af 2.8 Sigma and they are fine for B&W but exhibit great amounts of aberration in digital color use. They are not quite as well constructed as the Nikon either.
    Last edited by jp498; 10-30-2010 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stick to OM and Zuiko. Keep it and get a Nikon. I'm with the others: FM, FE, FM2, F3HP, F4. As for portraits: I like the 85mm F/2. For wide: the 35mm. 28mm, 24mm; I even have a 20mm but is AF. Don get rid of Olympus; you will regret it. I have the M-1, OM1, OM-1n, OM-2, OM-2n, OM-4T, with a full complement of lenses. Today; at these prices; is not worth it to get rid of good equipment. ( I have to confess that I use my Nikon F, F2 and Nikkormats very often )
    Last edited by Pumalite; 10-30-2010 at 02:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an extensive range of Olympus gear, but I changed over to Nikon because of the auto wind on and the auto focus perks. I never sold my Olympus cameras and still use the OM4Ti & 24 mm lens to shoot my IR film.

Vincent

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry lebens View Post
    Stick with the OM system. Ok, the Nikon build quality is marginally better than Olympus but, unless you're a total klutz, it won't matter. Besides second hand Olympus gear is cheaper than Nikon and it's much less likely to have been run into the ground by a pro. Lot's of amateurs bought Olympus, because of the heavy advertising, but hardly ever used it.

Regards
    Jerry
    Jerry makes an important point. Although my kit is principally Nikon I became disillusioned with the amount of worn out AI and pre-AI junk that had to be returned due to mechanical or glass issues, and tend to buy Canon FD these days. Mint old Nikkors attract a very high premium and I don't believe you'd find lenses of similar quality to your Zuikos without a) a large financial input, or b) a long search. Olympus cameras tended to live pampered lives in never-ready cases, Nikons, very rarely.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Jerry makes an important point. Although my kit is principally Nikon I became disillusioned with the amount of worn out AI and pre-AI junk that had to be returned due to mechanical or glass issues, and tend to buy Canon FD these days. Mint old Nikkors attract a very high premium and I don't believe you'd find lenses of similar quality to your Zuikos without a) a large financial input, or b) a long search. Olympus cameras tended to live pampered lives in never-ready cases, Nikons, very rarely.
    "Never ready cases" Like it!

Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am also with Jerry,

All My Pentax lenses live pampered lifes in foam slots n metal cases, mint pentax lenses are selling for more than I paid for them.
    If all your Olympus lenses are mint keep them, you won't find it easy to find Clean Nikon AI / AIS glass at a reasonable price.

Just buy 2 or three lenses for your F4 and keep using the nice Olympus glass.

Johnkpap

Shooter
    35mm
    Based on the OPs requirements and assuming he wants to replace clean lenses with similar without trusting himself to the vagueries of ebay, Grays of Westminster have the following manual focus AIS lenses from the Zuiko era:

20mm 2.8, new old stock: £739.00 (mint- £545)
    50mm 1.4 mint: £475.00
    105mm 1.8 mint: £695.00
    55mm 2.8 micro new old stock: £525.00 (mint £445)
    25-50mm 4 ex++: £225
    100-300 5.6 mint £300
    for someone serious about wide apertures how about...
    50-300 4.5 ex++ £1750

Ouch!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well. after reading all this I'd say do what you want but rest assured that you will burn through a lot of money awfully fast for top quality Nikon gear. I know the Olympus system doesn't have the cachet that Nikon gear has, but do you really care about that? I don't. However, if the Nikon gear will allow you do do something you want to do that you can't do with the Olympus, then go for it. You live only once.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnkpap View Post
    ...you won't find it easy to find Clean Nikon AI / AIS glass at a reasonable price...
    I respectfully disagree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin