Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,783   Online: 907

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nikon lenses

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon lenses

Hi all, I'm looking to ebay all of my 35mm cameras and focus on a single system. I want some advice on what Nikon lenses I should get if I decide to go with Nikon, I currently use an Olympus OM system and I find the lenses are excellent (I may opt to stay with oly but haven't made my mind up yet).

So, I have a Nikon F4s but only a 50mm f/1.8

I'd like:
    - a fast 50mm lens (to replace the zuiko 50/1.4)
    - a portrait lens ~100mm (to replace the zuiko 100/2.8)
    - a wide zoom lens (to replace the zuiko 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2.8)
    - a macro lens (something to replace the zuiko 50mm f/3.5 macro)
    - a long lens 200-300mm (to replace the zuiko 200 f/4, 300mm f/5.6)

So, It has to be better than the zuiko gear, lens speed needs to be equal or faster

I'm not fussed about whether they are auto or manual focus.

I'll probably have $3k to spend on lenses I estimate after I sell up all my olympus bodies and lenses.

So, suggestions?

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikkor 20mm f2,8 AIS or AFD
    Nikkor 28mm f2,8 AIS or AFD
    Nikkor 35mm f1,4 AIS
    Nikkor 50mm f1,2 AIS or f1,4 AIS/AFD
    Nikkor 105 f2,5 AIS
    Nikkor 180 f2,8 AIS or AFD

Shooter
    35mm
    Why do you want to change systems? I'm a Nikon user but I doubt you'll see any tangible difference between your Zuikos and Nikkor lenses. Spend the three grand on film and enjoy shooting the 50mm on your F4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you already have everything you need. Why does it not work for you?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the others. You seem to have an excellent system as it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I have never used a fixed-focal-length lens from any "top rung" camera/lens maker that 1) was not up to my technical standards, and 2) was discernible enough from any other brand's similarly spec'd lens to such a degree that I would bother choosing one or the other if given a choice based on image quality alone. I would make a choice based on maximum aperture, the camera body I prefer using, and other such things, but not on sharpness and the like. I am not saying that there are not differences, but that far too much is made of them. My experience is limited to Canon FD/FL, Nikon pre-AI, Minolta, Pentax K, Pentax thread mount, Canon EF, and a little bit with Olympus SLR lenses.

So, my points are 1) You will do well with any quality lens from any major manufacturer, and Nikon is one of the best, and 2) I just cannot see why you want to unload a whole system that you like, just to get another, unless you are really unhappy with the way the camera bodies handle in use.

My experience with Nikon pre-AI lenses has been that they are excellent, and a huge bang for the buck. However, the F and F2 bodies leave me with nothing to be desired, so I am OK with not being able to use the later bodies with them. If you go for AI and later lenses, you will pay more (and possibly a good deal more), but will have more lenses to choose from, and more compatibility with various camera bodies. I don't imagine that AI or later lenses are any worse than the pre-AI ones optically, so I would say to not have any reservations about any Nikon fixed-length lens that you are looking at.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to use a rather extensive Olumpus OM kit, and though Zuikos are as good as any other top brand, i'm not going add my 'vote' to the "keep what you have" side.
    If you like the Nikon F4s more, i can't see any reason (apart from the practicalities of making the switch 'happen') why you shouldn't move to Nikon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why don't you do this, I have a large number of Pentax and tamron Lenses and pentax cameras which I am very happy with, sometimes I also use a
    old well used Nikon FE... I just like using it... Instead of buying a whole new set of lenses I just bought a basic set of "bargin" grade lenses and a Tamron AI mount.

I have a number of tamron Adaptall 2 lenses that I use with my pentax cameras, all I bought was a Nikkon 20mm F3.5ai, 35-100mm AIS Zoom, 50mm 1.8 AI.

I have in tamron 28mm 2.5, 105mm 2.5, 80-210 3.8, 200 3.5, 200-500 f8 plus a Tamron 2x conv

Tamron Lenses are a good buy as you can use them with any 35mm camera all you need is a mount for your next camera.

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were in your situation, here is what I would do:

1. Keep my Olympus manual-focus prime-lens system.

2. Buy the following lenses on the used market as part of my Nikon F4 auto-focus zoom-lens system:

a) 17-35mm or 24-35mm f/2.8 Nikon auto focus

b) 35-70mm f/2.8 Nikon auto focus

c) 80-200mm f/2.8 Nikon auto focus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Switching systems

I agree with the others who say keep what you have. I have an extensive Nikon MF system which I like but I wouldn't unload an equally capable OM system for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin