Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,602   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ahha, a use possibily, someone told me that the 35mm adaptors for MF cameras like the Rolleiflex don't have any sprockets at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The metal "gears" on the "drive" shafts in 35mm cameras project upwards through the holes just enough to clear the back of the camera and yet go through the film. Without holes in the film, the film is deformed around those "gears" and scrapes on them giving deformed film and scrapings from the surface of the film which is being scratched.

This is UNGOOD!
    True, that has much ungoodliness about it.

However, if you had a lot of non-perforated film to use it could be worth modifying a cheap camera body to take it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have just opened up four cameras of four different makes at random and all of them have plastic gears rather than metal so it would be easy to file off the teeth.

The gears also seem to be on a barrel fitted over a metal shaft so with a bit of dis-mantling and re-mantling (which should be a word) the whole gear assembly could be removed.

Steve,
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mantle - to cover
    Dismantle - to uncover

Mantelpiece has the same origin as it covers the fireplace.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But you never hear anyone say they are going to mantle something as an opposite to dismantling it.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mantle is usually a noun and dismantle is usually a verb in common usage. Just like film with perfs and film without! Different uses.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but the sprockets/gears are outside the image area

I agree it would probably cause film flatness issues which is a good point that I hadn't thought about before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the sprocket gears are there at all, they will be scratching the film probably and creating "shavings" of the emulsion that will look like dust in the camera and will create defects.

Our film in research was unperfed 35mm. We never used it in-camera unless we had it specially perfed in a separate operation. It was for flatness and for eliminating scratching.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've never tried it but, a friend who used 100' rolls of non-perfed Veri-Color in long roll cameras for school photography used to load up his leftover end rolls to shoot in a Minolta 700? 70000? something or another. I couldn't say what the over all success rate was but I did see some good photos out of that set-up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin