Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,610   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

non perf in a Nikon FM2

Can you run non perf 35mm in the FM2 or are the perfs needed for the film counter?

Anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Can I hijack this and expand it to if not what camera can run non perf thats not a microfilm camera!
    I have a tonne of non perf film but no use for it =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No. All traditional 35mm cameras need perforations.

828 film was 35mm with a backing and no perforations. It is long obsolete but you could possibly use it in such a camera.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, non-perf film cannot be used in 35mm cameras. With that I agree. However, 828 film, along with its backing did have perfs, but only a few, not the regular ones like 35mm. It was more like 126 which also had perfs.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-35-x-100-F...ht_4790wt_1137

what is this film for? I thought I read on photonet that on some 35mm cameras if you could thread the take up reel then it might work but I don't remember the specifics.

I think the FM2 needs the perforations so the film counter advances correctly. I can't open my camera right now...
    it is loaded

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Soviet spring-motor driven Leningrad doesn't use or need perforations.
    Very interesting camera for several other reasons as well.....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    The film counter advances on my FM2 - or for that matter most all my cameras, without a roll of film in it so I don't believe perf film is needed for this function. With the FM2 you thread the film into the take up spool so the perf on the film is not required for this either. The perforations probably help keep the film aligned though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The perforations are there so the wind on stops at the correct point to give even frame spacing. Most cameras however will still cock the shutter when you wind on and allow the shutter to be pressed so I think it would work but you would have larger than normal spacing between frames getting larger towards the end of the film.

The frame counter is usually independent of the perforations and will still count if worked without a film.

Cameras like my Voigtlander Vito B however also use the perforations and its gear to cock the shutter. This is why you can often find them cheap on ebay as their sellers think the shutter is broken.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maybe that film is for some long roll back from when school portraiture was film based.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may have been used for Microfilming! IDK.

However, consider this. The metal "gears" on the "drive" shafts in 35mm cameras project upwards through the holes just enough to clear the back of the camera and yet go through the film. Without holes in the film, the film is deformed around those "gears" and scrapes on them giving deformed film and scrapings from the surface of the film which is being scratched.

This is UNGOOD!

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin