Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,686   Online: 744

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    This is what I assumed. I wonder how they do on digital. I will have to ask elsewhere.
    Have a look here:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    That little 45 /2.8 lens might just be the same optical formula as the old 45 / 2.8 GN (guide number) lens. Both are Tessars. I have the GN lens, and it's pretty good.
    Tessar formula but a very different lens compared to the old GN.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The only differences between the 1981-2005 AIS Nikkors and the 2006-current AIS Nikkors are the serial numbers, which were upped by either 100,000 or 1,000,000, depending on if the lenses had six or seven digit serial numbers, and the fact that they're made special order only. So, no new coatings.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the analogue market is so small compared to the professional dslr (and even bigger consumer digital camera) market that i'm not very surprised they don't pay attention...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    IMHO Canon is the way to go, option of M42, Contax C/Y, Olympus OM, Nikkor, and many other lens mouns to adapt to easily on both the digital SLRs and film SLRs

Currently I just use a Olympus OM G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4, Super Takumar 200mm f/4, and Sigma 12-24mm on both 35mm film and APS-C digital.

12mm on film with no distortion is unreal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    This is what I assumed. I wonder how they do on digital. I will have to ask elsewhere.
    You may also want to invest in a new focus screen for your new digital SLR then. The plain screen does not work very well with manual focus lenses (including the ones from Carl Zeiss). Zeiss showed these screen at Photokina this year to go with their lenses. I forgot who makes them but they were from two US suppliesrs
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I never understood why the camera manufacturers stopped using the split-prism in their standard screens.

I'm starting to use my older AIS Nikon manual focus lenses on my Nikon D700, but I found it very hard to focus with the basic matt screen. So after a little research, I switched to a Katz Eye split-prism, and it is much better. In comparison, the Katz Eye screen is as good as, and maybe better than, my F3 for manual focus lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I never understood why the camera manufacturers stopped using the split-prism in their standard screens.

I'm starting to use my older AIS Nikon manual focus lenses on my Nikon D700, but I found it very hard to focus with the basic matt screen. So after a little research, I switched to a Katz Eye split-prism, and it is much better. In comparison, the Katz Eye screen is as good as, and maybe better than, my F3 for manual focus lenses.
    That was one of them! The plain screens are better with auto-focus lenses, in my opinion, because they are brighter and work with smaller apertures. Nevertheless, they don't work well with manual-focus lenses.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    That was one of them! The plain screens are better with auto-focus lenses, in my opinion, because they are brighter and work with smaller apertures. Nevertheless, they don't work well with manual-focus lenses.
    All my Nikon AF bodies have focus confirmation in the viewfinder display that makes the split-image focus aid irrelevant. Works nicely with MF lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    All my Nikon AF bodies have focus confirmation in the viewfinder display that makes the split-image focus aid irrelevant. Works nicely with MF lenses.
    Not for me. It's like trusting autofocus. Sometimes you want more control.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin