Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,409   Online: 956

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon's new manual focus fixed-length lenses

Hello,

It is nice that Nikon still sells several manual focus lenses. Has anybody here bought the current models brand new? What versions of the lenses are these? Are they just AI-S lenses, or have they been redesigned? The prices certainly are attractive, compared to their autofocus stuff. If I ever seriously start using digital, I was thinking that these guys might be the way to go, as they will serve me with film as well. The prices really are not bad for brand spanking new lenses.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Nikon hasn't made any new MF designs except the new PC-E lenses. So they are the same lenses as in 80's, just upgraded with newest coatings (not nano coating though).

My secret dream is that Nikon some day releases a new manual focus Ai-P lens collection using the newest optical designs used in 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 etc.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two words: Zeiss ZF.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon still sells a fm-10 film camera, so these lenses are probably to go with that, and for people like us looking to acquire more lenses that work with new and old hardware.

I bought a new 50 1.2 about ten years ago and sold it for what I bought it for five years ago. Now you could have sold it for more than I paid for it.

Earlier this year I bought a brand new Voigtlander 40mm SL2 for Nikon-F mount. It's a very nice new manual focus lens; nice to use and exceptional image qualities. Zeiss seems overpriced and brutally crisp at the expense of Bokeh.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Hello,

It is nice that Nikon still sells several manual focus lenses. Has anybody here bought the current models brand new? What versions of the lenses are these? Are they just AI-S lenses, or have they been redesigned? The prices certainly are attractive, compared to their autofocus stuff. If I ever seriously start using digital, I was thinking that these guys might be the way to go, as they will serve me with film as well. The prices really are not bad for brand spanking new lenses.
    What new lenses, apart from the new-ish PC models? What remains are new but the same 30+ year-old designs. The little 45/2.8 Ai-P I have was rolled out with the FM3A and was among the last "new" MF lenses. That was 2001.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihmemies View Post
    Nikon hasn't made any new MF designs except the new PC-E lenses. So they are the same lenses as in 80's, just upgraded with newest coatings (not nano coating though).

My secret dream is that Nikon some day releases a new manual focus Ai-P lens collection using the newest optical designs used in 24/1.4, 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 etc.
    They actually planned a line of "classic" chipped Ai-P lenses to follow the FM3A roll-out. But the FM3A was late to the party and the chipped 24/2.8, 28/2.8, and 105/2.5 lenses never happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Two words: Zeiss ZF.

-Laura
    Is ZF a word?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihmemies View Post

This is what I assumed. I wonder how they do on digital. I will have to ask elsewhere.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I doubt Nikon is putting much effort into manual focus lenses. Why should it? The bulk of Nikon's sales are in digital cameras and lenses.

I agree that the Zeiss lenses are very nice, indeed. Or at least that's true of the ZM lenses that I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What new lenses, apart from the new-ish PC models? What remains are new but the same 30+ year-old designs. The little 45/2.8 Ai-P I have was rolled out with the FM3A and was among the last "new" MF lenses. That was 2001.
    That little 45 /2.8 lens might just be the same optical formula as the old 45 / 2.8 GN (guide number) lens. Both are Tessars. I have the GN lens, and it's pretty good.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin