Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,142   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah yes, even the G lenses work just fine with Nikon F6! I was thinking more of the mechanical ones, i.e FM2 even the FE2's and such. Yea F5, F6, F100 etc, works fine with these. Just don't get DX lenses. Just check Ken Rockwell's site specifically what camera you intend to use and what lens you are eyeing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ken Rockwell's site states that G lenses work OK with the F6 and the D700. Is he wrong?

I never purchased one, but that may be over soon, because every Nikon lens coming out lately is a G lens.
    Ralph,

Yes, that is correct. Those cameras control aperture from dial/chip/electronic settings. G lenses cannot obviously be used on manual cameras since there is no aperture ring.

Max

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fdisilvestro View Post
    Using a G lens on a manual camera without aperture control from the body will result in minumum aperture (max f number), not wide open.

I stand corrected, you are right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    G lenses also work on the F4 in Shutter Priority and Program Modes.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's what works with what I got:

D700 = G lenses, AF-D lenses, AIS lenses (F100 would work here too)
    N80 = G lenses, AF-D lenses
    FE = AF-D lenses, AIS lenses
    FTn = AIS lenses

Only lenses to avoid with film are DX. Those are for small frame digital only. AF-D lenses are the most compatible and I will usually buy those unless I need something specific.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use the Ken Rockwell chart, everyone has their own opinions on him and his musings, but his charts are really helpful.

Avoid any lens that is for a Pronea, they will work on a small sensor Digital, but vignette on a 22x36 frame (or sensor)
    In a fit of sillyness Nikon made some Digital only lenses, the only film camera they work with is the Pronea, avoid as well.
    It almost appears random as to what bodies will and won't work with the "G" lenses. I have a N65 (low end)that works with G lenses, and a N90s (high end) that hates them.

Fun fact: A frame of APS film like that used in the Nikon Pronea and he standard Nikon digital sensor are about the same size and that is why it is called and APS sensor. Maybe someone thought 35mm would die and APS would take over, oops, that didn't happen.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Gang.

The charts at aiconversions.com might be useful in telling what lenses work with what as well. The proprietor, John White, does a very good job with the conversion. For $25 each, most old Nikkors will work on 35mm bodies all the way back to the F, and on the latest digital ones too.

I came to a D700 a year ago with ten old Nikkors, some dating back to the sixties. Seven of them needed AI conversion, which is essentially the removal of some metal material on the camera facing part of the aperture rings of the older, pre-AI lenses. That modification makes it possible for old Nikkors to follow a movable lever which runs along the outside of the newer F mount flanges.

I am more than a little happy that all my old glass can be used on the latest Nikons.

Last edited by T42; 11-04-2010 at 11:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: dumb typo
    Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Non-AI lenses: Nikon F, F2 with DE-1, DP-1 through DP-3 for full aperture metering, Nikkormat FT, FTn, FT2, EL, ELw, and FS, plus the Nikkorex F. Will do stop-down metering on F2 with DP-11 or DP-12, any F3, any F4, FE, FM, and modified F5 or F6. Will mount, but not meter on cameras like the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, and D5000. Do not attempt to mount them to any other Nikon.

AI lenses: Will work on all of the above, plus any other Nikon, albeit, with the N4004, 4004s, 5005, N65, etc, and most low-end DSLR Nikons, except for the D7000, they won't meter. The AI lenses will also provide matrix metering on the F4 and the FA. Suspect most non-CPU lenses can be used with the current higher end digis, the D7000, and the F6 in matrix metering.

AIS lenses: same as AI, but added a linear diaphragm for use with the FG, N2000, FA, etc in program mode. Series E lenses are AIS as well.

AF and AI-P lenses: same as AIS, but with added CPU, and AF in the AF lenses. AI-P lenses, like the AF lenses and the Series E lenses do not have coupling prongs, but those can be added by any repair shop for use on non-AI bodies with full-aperture metering. Mod not needed if shooting a Nikon F eyelevel, F2 with DE-1, Nikkormat FS, or Nikkorex F without meter.

AF-D lenses: same as AF, but distance info added to chip for more flash features. Current technology for screw-drive AF Nikkors.

AF-I lenses: coreless motor for AF usage, work as MF lenses on N2020, 4004 series, 6006, and 8008, but work as AF on F4, N90/90s, and newer cameras.

AF-S lenses: same as AF-I, except motor is a silent-wave motor for very quiet focus. Fast focus, even on an F4.

AF-G lenses: no ap. ring, so not compatible at all with MF Nikon bodies, partially compatible with N6006, 8008, 90, F4, fully compatible with N4004 series, N50-80, F100, F5 and newer. Not sure if an N2020 could use one, maybe in P mode only. Some lenses, as mentioned in prev. posts, are DX, so those can only be used on DSLR's or Pronea bodies without vignetting.

IX-Nikkors: Pronea S and 6i only. Nikon does not recommend using them on an APS-C format DSLR nor any 35mm format analog or digital Nikons.

One caveat about adding a prong to an AF Nikkor: the detents on the ring are much softer than the earlier manual lenses, so it is recommended that if you're mounting them to a Nikkormat that you hold the aperture ring @ 5.6 while mounting, so the meter doesn't think you're mounting a 50/1.2 lens, instead of a 300/4 AF-S Nikkor, etc.

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    I would add that the F6 is ridiculously expensive, and will likely remain that way as it was the last of the nikon film slrs and produced in low numbers (collectors will keep the price high). Go for an f100; it's almost identical in features and performance at 1/10th the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djacobox372 View Post
    I would add that the F6 is ridiculously expensive, and will likely remain that way as it was the last of the nikon film slrs and produced in low numbers (collectors will keep the price high). Go for an f100; it's almost identical in features and performance at 1/10th the cost.

I agree it's over expensive, then again compared to the £4500 I paid for my Ebony 45SU (it arrived after the £ had crashed) it's a bargain!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin