Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,695   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Update....

I have finally bought a basic F4 body (for £149) and a 55mm F2.8 AIS Micro for the same price as the camera! In fact the F4 body cost me less to buy that what I paid for my original, admittedly new, OM1 back in the 1970s!

Many thanks for your help in diverting me away from buying the F6!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look inside the rear of the 55 micro with a flashlight/torch.
    Most Ais used sub par lubricant and the lube breaks down and sloughs off the focussing helicoids.

It also eventually works it's way to the aperture blades and can seize the aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exactly what I was going to link to.

In general, you cannot really go wrong with AI or AI-S glass.

Also, regarding your comment about hoping the D700X (or whatever they call it) will beat the 5D Mk. II: Ken Rockwell also opines on why the D700 is "better" for almost everyone, especially those working without tripods and/or shooting moving objects (i.e. people). I'd check it out while you are there.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-11-2011 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some of the G lenses are quite great and can justify one additional film body (F6, F100...).
    They are quite bulky but the ones I have are better sealed than AI(s) lenses. My father's 35/1.4 still does a good job, but it is pretty dusty inside.

Personally, I do not hesitate to buy the G lenses. But if there is anything as outstanding as for example the 180/2.8ED the AI(s) range, i will certainly prefer that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All this seems a bit confusing, I think I stick with my RB67

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just get some Zeiss ZF glass and call it a day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
    Just get some Zeiss ZF glass and call it a day
    I will be adding some ZF.2 Zeiss glass later probably 21mm, 28mm, 100mm Macro...
    The Thing

Portfolio

Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you're used to carrying an RB67 (I assume it weighs as much as the RZ67?) you'd find the F4 featherweight by comparison!
    The Thing

Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Most Ais used sub par lubricant and the lube breaks down and sloughs off the focussing helicoids.

It also eventually works it's way to the aperture blades and can seize the aperture.
    I've been using AIS lenses since they first came out in 1980? (had/have over 40 AIS lenses). I have NEVER had a single problem with the lubricants. NEVER!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    OP....know this too...the focusing barrels of 3rd party manufactured lenses rotate in the opposite direction of NIkon lenses and that can be a bit confusing when focusing fast....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin