Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,748   Online: 877

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon lenses for digital and manual cameras

I'm hoping someone here can help as I find the different Nikon lens types very confusing!

I currently have an Olympus E-3 and several lenses, an OM1 & OM2s/p and OM Zuiko lenses and a seperate SD video camera. I am seriously considering changing and going for the Nikon replacement for the D700 when it emerges, which I hope will compete with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. I also currently use several large format Nikkor lenses for my 5x4 camera, which I like for their contrasty interpretation of landscapes.

I would like to know if Nikon lenses which can be used with the digital cameras can also be used with the 35mm film cameras, as were this possible I would probably add an F6 body later. Currently when I wish to use digital & 35mm film, I need to use different lenses for optimal quality, with the Olympus. One set of lenses for both film and digital would be great.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes and No.

Here is the top and bottom of it.

If you are interested in a Nikon lens and you think "I wonder if it also works on a nice old Nikon F3" do this:

1) Look at the lens label, does it have a "G" on there? (see where it says 35mm F1.18G?) Like THIS lens? DON'T buy it.

2) Look again, does it say DX on it? (Like the lens above) DON'T buy it.

All other lenses (more or less) are fully compatible. For even more detailed info check this site, that should cover all you need to know basically.

Ken Rockwell's "Nikon Lens Compatibility"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the so-called F-Mount is one of the beauties of Nikon cameras and lenses. As long as you stay away from the DX lenses, which do not cover full frame, you can use almost all Nikon lenses on Nikon digital and film cameras. Be aware that there are some exceptions and limitations, but they involve specialty lenses and very old lenses.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's wrong with the G lenses?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    What's wrong with the G lenses?
    Doh, no aperture ring!

Shooter
    35mm
    G lenses will work with an F6. Any of the cameras that can control the aperture via camera settings will work. Older, manual cameras cannot use a G lens except at wide-open.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using a G lens on a manual camera without aperture control from the body will result in minumum aperture (max f number), not wide open.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are limitations with AF bodies and not ALL function fully with G lenses. I'd check here for what's what:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ken Rockwell's site states that G lenses work OK with the F6 and the D700. Is he wrong?

I never purchased one, but that may be over soon, because every Nikon lens coming out lately is a G lens.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin