Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,593   Online: 915

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bessarabia question

A local dealer has:
    A bess a T, an L and one other maybe an R?
    The ones with the frame lines and the built in viewfinder were most user friendly at first, then I discover that wide angle lenses can require a separate finder unless. You have a camera dedicated to short focal lengths (in the finder frames).
    So the question: is it better to just go for the separate viewfinder model?

I see myself using 20mm , 35 mm 80 or 90' perhaps 135mm lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Bessa R a 75mm is the longest lens you can focus well enough in practice and the widest is 35mm without an external finder. The other two would need an external viewfinder for each and every focal length you are going to use. The T is the best of the bunch in my opinion but it's basically designed to be used with just one focal length (it's not ideal to change both lens and a viewfinder).

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bessarabia question

Ok, my first choice of lenses is going to be a 35mm, and only occasionally a 90mm, although a 20 would be an option some of the time.

Still choose the T??

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The L has no viewfinder at all and no ability to focus (it has no built-in rangefinder -- or viewfinder).

The R has a rangefinder and three user-selectable framelines: 35-50-75.

The L and R are screw mount. You cannot use M mount lenses.

The T has only a rangefinder but no viewfinder. You will need to use/purchase a separate viewfinder for composing your shot.

The R2 is like the R, except it is M mount and can take screw-mount (via an adapter) or M-mount lenses.

The R2A, R3 and every model after that are all M mount.

The use of a 20mm lens on any rangefinder camera will require a separate viewfinder, regardless of model or manufacturer.

If it were me, I would find an R2 lens and couple it with one of the Cosina Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm lenses, such as the Pancake II model. Unless you're a high-speed freak and demand a fast lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks guys, is there a site other than steve Gandy's that goes into Bessa's uses and the like? I hate to keep pestering you guys.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Around 2000 or 2001, I bought the Bessa-R and wrote a review.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin