Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,863   Online: 1069

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    The cameras on at the moment are at stupid Buy It Now prices of £150+.... but this morning I nearly choked on my cornflakes... an OM1 for a Buy-It-Now price of £315 (that's $500/Eur360/500AUD)!!! (Oh, I forgot, it does come with the oh-so-rare f/1.8 50mm lens).
    Just a few weeks ago I got a very clean OM-1N body for $60. There seem to be a lot of dealers who put up gear with BIN prices that are 2-3 times what similar items are actually selling for in auction. From what I've seen the auctions for these cameras are active but prices are still much lower than equivalent Nikon or Canon stuff. Some of the lenses are pricey, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could check out thrift shops or pawn shops.

Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Certainly it has been raising. But I believe you can find them at a good price.

Two years ago I bought my OM equipment (OM-1 + MiJ 50mm for 100 pounds). Bodies have raised their price. The $5-10 prices I saw in articles about the 50mm f1.8 seem rare nowadays. I am tracking this lens because mine has grown fungus and I'll replace it once it gets severe (if it does).
    Depends on what you're after, but in general, the prices have raised. Some stuff, hasn't changed that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keh has the OM2N with the shoe in excellent condition for $133. I have not really shopped eBay for one of these, but I often find that KEH is very competitive with eBay.

Oh, I forgot to mention, a bargain condition OM2N without the shoe is $47.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The OM to 4/3 lens adapters are probably affecting the market - sadly this may mean that people are buying the cameras for the lens alone.

Do you have Craigslist or something similar where you are? A "Want to Buy" listing might work.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The OM to 4/3 lens adapters are probably affecting the market - sadly this may mean that people are buying the cameras for the lens alone.
    I suspect this is true. I know it's true for the Yashica market. I swear you could make decent money scrounging eBay looking for broken cameras with a lens on them, throw the camera away, and sell the lenses with a lens adapter. I saw one dolt who had a Yashica DSB 50mm lens listed for $299. It didn't even come with a broken FX-3.

Unfortunately for us, the Digiheads are finally beginning to figure out that the light doesn't know if it's a "digital" lens or not. I used to think that was so hilarious to see "digital" lenses, like they were better somehow because the word "digital" was on the box.

Maybe we can go a marketing campaign to let them know that the reason the 1970's lenses were so awesome is because the old film technology, which we've blown past, was that good. And maybe they should try looking at the new film!

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All film camera prices are on the way upwards. Only two years ago you could be the only bidder for a lovely 35mm film camera on *bay. It's all over now. I think LF and some MF are the only brackets where you can still make good deals.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Only two years ago you could be the only bidder for a lovely 35mm film camera on *bay. It's all over now.
    As I recall, two years ago, you might have been the only bidder on a sack of beans. About four years ago, I bought a Nikon F2 off ebay, and prices for those are certainly not higher now than they were then. If anything, it's less now. A few years ago I got a Speed Graphic, same deal. (though with those it's hard to say for sure--the prices vary so much with condition and what comes with.) I would have to say that prices for film gear have not increased all that much over recent years.

Of course, the flip side of that is supply: over time, the available inventory of working vintage cameras is not going to increase. New film cameras are not being produced in great quantity. It does seem to be the case (without hard figures to back up the statement) that some categories of gear are actually less available than even a few years ago.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    As I recall, two years ago, you might have been the only bidder on a sack of beans. About four years ago, I bought a Nikon F2 off ebay, and prices for those are certainly not higher now than they were then. If anything, it's less now. A few years ago I got a Speed Graphic, same deal. (though with those it's hard to say for sure--the prices vary so much with condition and what comes with.) I would have to say that prices for film gear have not increased all that much over recent years.

Of course, the flip side of that is supply: over time, the available inventory of working vintage cameras is not going to increase. New film cameras are not being produced in great quantity. It does seem to be the case (without hard figures to back up the statement) that some categories of gear are actually less available than even a few years ago.
    Not sure there will be much of a trampoline effect, especially with cheap and easy commercial processing vanishing quickly in many markets. Suspect this will kill demand outside our crazed community for film gear. I know that 120 back prices for some dead medium format systems(e.g., Bronica SQ) are rising but it's the exception and not the rule. Collectors' appetites are another matter entirely. There seem to be spikes in demand for some lens mounts as the digital 4/3s crew starts playing with their adapters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My local shops here in Japan have them starting at around $200 all the way up to $1300 (seriously) for the OM-4Ti. I suppose I should have bought the OM-4Ti I saw at a fair earlier this year for $400, but I'm perfectly happy with the "junk" OM-2 I bought last year

And yes, the paint is coming off the back of mine (chrome, not black.)
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin