Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,111   Online: 967

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

If film is dead....

... why is it that I'm having trouble finding an OM2 for a reasonable price?

I want to get an OM2n or OM1n to go with some OM lenses I had left to me with a half-working OM10. Looking on E**y, they seemed to be going for around £40, but then people suddenly started paying silly prices in auctions. I put this down to that it was September and that new photo students were desperately buying them up.

The cameras on at the moment are at stupid Buy It Now prices of £150+.... but this morning I nearly choked on my cornflakes... an OM1 for a Buy-It-Now price of £315 (that's $500/Eur360/500AUD)!!! (Oh, I forgot, it does come with the oh-so-rare f/1.8 50mm lens).

One other question - does every used OM2n have the paint chipped to b*ggery on the rear door?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The OM cameras seem to be undergoing a resurgence in popularity at the moment. It always was a good system and a nice alternative to the gorillas that Nikon and Canon offered.

The second thing is that 1) there are greedy people and that is true on eBay, and 2) some people are delusional about the value of their cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At least olympus' prices prove that film is not dead

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Relative to contemporary Nikon/Canon sales, Oly put fewer of their cameras and lenses on the market. Trends come and go but a core of determined collectors/resellers can spike prices on clean examples, Oly cachet notwithstanding. Are you just shopping in the UK or beyond in N. America?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    So are we seeing Olympus as flavour of the month at the moment? If film really is 'dead' then who is buying these cameras? Collectors? Hoarders?

I'm just looking in UK right now, but now the exchange rate is on the up, perhaps I should look to N America too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    So are we seeing Olympus as flavour of the month at the moment? If film really is 'dead' then who is buying these cameras? Collectors? Hoarders?
    How many that are offered for sale have you counted?
    Will that be enough to base a global conclusion on (either way)?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    I'm just looking in UK right now, but now the exchange rate is on the up, perhaps I should look to N America too.
    Indeed. Let those dollar printing presses roll, mr. Bernanke!
    But as with everything, nothing good will come of it in the end. We may get a few cheap cameras now. But how will we repay later?

Shooter
    35mm
    buy it now prices, if still listed, mean that they havn't sold yet. which may offer an alternative hypothesis as to what the cameras are actually worth. if you are patient, your time will come...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Try looking here,www.collectablecameras.com always seem to have a good selection of om gear Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    snapper

have a look at www.ffordes.co.uk They have several olympuses (olympii?) advertised at circa £75. As they at least provide a bit of warranty these are a pretty good deal.

If you factor in a full CLA from Mike Spencer at www.camerarepairs-r-us.co.uk you will have a great camera. Highly recommend Mike Spencer - he's done my OM1n and OM2. The OM2 needed a new prism - usual foam rot degredation, and it was only +£10 on his usual £50ish CLA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be inclined to think there is a bit of a resurgence. I used Olympus in the '80s for casual use before switching to Nikon when the F4s came out because I wanted to focus on sports action. Back then, Olympus was losing their direction with the SLR market coming out with crap replacement things like the OM77af. If you wanted future tech, you had to go elsewhere. Then they stuck to P&S gear till finding their way again with digital. They had sort of a tough time topping their own excellent niche of quality lightweight mechanical SLR cameras. The Olympus OM series was definitely a step up from the normal pentax k1000 which was sort of the market standard for general photography. If you have special needs like a variety of super long bright lenses or lots of frames per second or autofocus go with Nikon or Canon. The Olympus was lighter, nicely built, smoother in operation, and quieter than most competitors. It's a very good system to use for normal candid non-specialized photography. Perhaps people are rediscovering this, or perhaps people are looking to stay with the brand as they branch out from the Olympus digital cameras?

Check KEH as well for olympus items.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin