Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,336   Online: 752

Shooter
    35mm

Zeiss lens question

If I buy a Zeiss 50 mm SLR Nikon mount, do I get to keep Matrix metering with my F100? I know that I lose autofocus, but what about the other functions?

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, the matrix metering is built into the camera, not the lens.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Steve is right about the metering.
    There are two versions of the Zeiss in Nikon F mount. The original which allowed aperture changes with the ring on the lens only.... and ZF.2 which has a chip in it and allows aperture changes by either the ring or by the camera dials and wheels.

You can check out my website for pricing if you like.
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Somewhat related, but Rob is a terrific guy to deal with...a solid supporter of analog. I have no connection or financial interest in his business, I'm just saying.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FYI/FWIW, meters in an SLR judge the light by what is projected onto the ground-glass in your prism.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    FYI/FWIW, meters in an SLR judge the light by what is projected onto the ground-glass in your prism.
    Or through a separate optical path, using light split-off the light going to the viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Touché!

Shooter
    35mm
    just a quick clarification since it may not be clear... w/ the ZF lens matrix metering on the F100 does not function, w/ the ZF.2 lens and its CPU, matrix metering is possible. also, if you want aperture ring control w/ the ZF.2 lens, make sure to set the F100's custom setting 22 to [1].

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the zeiss webpage
    http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B58B9...257102003B3E79

What is the difference between ZF and ZF.2 lenses?
    The ZF.2 lenses are an enhanced version of the ZF lenses. They feature an electronic interface (CPU). This CPU enables the ZF.2 lenses to support all important operating modes such as shutter priority, aperture priority and programmed auto exposure or manual exposure settings even on non-AI compatible camera housings. Photographers no longer have to set the parameters in the camera menu as the lens now transmits standard data such as focal length, speed and the aperture setting to the camera. This data can then be viewed in the EXIF data of each picture.
    Furthermore, the silver fork coupling is not available on the ZF.2 lenses. For this reason, you cannot use light metering on older cameras (F, F2, Nikkormat, etc.). The ZF.2 lenses have a mechanical lock on the aperture ring to lock the aperture ring at the lowest setting and prevent unintentional adjustment while taking pictures.
    For technical reasons, the ZF.2 lenses do not have a half-step aperture lock between the lowest (stop position) and the second lowest aperture setting. This guarantees reliable recognition of the automatic position. The lowest aperture on the ZF.2 lenses is orange to emphasize the automatic position of the aperture ring.

And a bit more

For details regarding metering modes and further functions, please check the camera´s manual. The ZF.2 lenses accord to the Nikon AI-P standard (manual focus lenses with CPU).

Best regards
    Last edited by Soeren; 11-10-2010 at 09:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by theducktest View Post
    just a quick clarification since it may not be clear... w/ the ZF lens matrix metering on the F100 does not function, w/ the ZF.2 lens and its CPU, matrix metering is possible. also, if you want aperture ring control w/ the ZF.2 lens, make sure to set the F100's custom setting 22 to [1].
    In contrast, with an F6, you can enter the data of a non-CPU lens, including a ZF, into the camera and use matrix metering.

-Laura

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin