Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,391   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon f4s or F100

I am looking to try a camera with AF and am drawn to the Nikon range. I started looking at the N90s but have found for not much more I can get an F4s or F100. I would be looking at getting a couple of prime AF lenses to go with it maybe a 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8. Can anyone provide advice on which way to go?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    F100 is nice. Plus you have the latest flashes to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, I've got a nice F5 for sale.. LOL :-)

I've never used either F4 or F100 but the F100's quite a lot newer, and probably a lot lighter...

Shooter
    Medium Format

F4s or F100

I recently suffered a GAS attack and needed to get back to film. I already had Nikon Lenses for my D3 so started looking at Nikon bodies for film. I had used an F4s a few years back so new it was a nice camera. Well I ended up purchasing both. The F100 is a fantastic camera but so is the F4s. I think if you like the simplicity of the knobs and dials the F4s is the route to go. However the F100 is not like the digital cameras with tons of hidden menus which leave, me certainly, wondering if the camera is set up properly. The only thing I would suggest checking on the F100 is the back has plastic locks. Make sure they are there otherwise you may suffer light leaks. If I could only choose one it would be the F100. Just to show how bad my GAS attack was I know have a Canon F1n and a couple of lenses, a Mamiya C33 and a couple of lenses, Pentax P30, Bronica ETRS and an Ensign Selfix 820. Just need to find somewhere to put a darkroom. (That should please the wife.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F4 is heavier+acceps all the Nikkor lenses with few exceptions. Has Martrix Metering, therefore pics seldom bad. I have to confess a preference to shoot with my Nikon F or F2AS and a Hand Held Meter. The F4 is definitely the heavier of the 2 you mention
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my F4 and am biased in its favour. Autofocus is a bit slower than F100 but I enjoy the simplicity of the controls and it's a TANK - if you like that sort of thing.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit I am leaning towards the F4 due to its control layout. Should I be at all concerned with the age? Are they all likely to have had pretty heavy usage?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sold all my manual Nikon bodies recently and bought a F100 instead. It's a great camera to use. Perhaps I should have gone one step further and get a F5 but then again F100 is much smaller and lighter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an F100 an it is a fantastic camera. I have no experience with the F4 so I can only speak to the F100. You can't go wrong with the F100. I must admit that generally when I shot 35mm I use my FE. I feel like I am cheating with the F100?????
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to consider is that the F4 cannot deal with the newer G lenses- no aperture adjustment dial on it. If newer glass is a possibility for you F100 is the way to go.

I shot both for years and loved the F4 for the traditional layout. As stated above it gives full metering with the widest range of old lenses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin