Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,878   Online: 1116
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Marco B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,983
    Images
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by zk-cessnaguy View Post
    The camera itself is compact, yet with the VC-7 vertical grip, it's balanced with larger telephoto lenses of the 70-200 f/2.8 variety. The VC-7 also allows the camera to run on ubiquitous AA batteries.
    Yes, I wouldn't want to do without my VC-7 grip! Not only because I have a strong preference for vertical shots, but like you say, the balance of camera with heavy F2.8 lenses is just so much better. In addition, I wouldn't want to do without the capability of popping in regular AA NiMh rechargeables, just great. No hassle with expensive non-rechargeable Lithium batteries, or equally expensive brand/model specific rechargeable batteries like in modern d*****l SLR.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    The sigma 24-70 f2.8 seems to have a couple of different models. Are the non-manufacturer brand maxxum lenses any good? Any thoughts on a zoom versus 2 or 3 primes? With my OM's I usually prefer to use my Zuiko primes. The Minolta primes are certainly cheap. Is it just because they are unfashionable?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

    Their lens database has lots of user reviews and is the first place I would look for user based information.
    Like Hoffy says, your first stop should by the Dyxum reviews. I do remember one of the first models of Sigma's 24-70 F2.8 EX receiving a lesser review in a photo magazine, essentially stating something like that "they pushed the design of the really good 28-70 F2.8 EX to far" by creating the 24-70 version as spin off... However, I don't think current top line EX models including the latest 24-70 have the same issue, it was at the dawn of Sigma's rise with quality EX lenses some 10 years back.

    I have no complaints about my Sigma 28-70 F2.8 EX (Early model).
    My website

    "The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

    "I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

    "Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Floor-it-duh
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,042
    Images
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade D View Post
    I don't have the 7 but have a slightly older 8000i. I don't think it supports the SSM lenses. It does have a very nice, if plastic feeling, 28-200 Tamron lens. The auto focus is quite good IMO. The lens is also very sharp for most of the range. A little soft near the 28 and 200 settings but not bad.
    I was going to get a Tamron 28-200 and read a lot of awful reviews on it dyxum. Maybe they just got bad copies? I was looking for a good walkaround for my Maxxum 4, it's my walkaround 35mm because it weighs next to nothing. I have the 18-270 hyperzoom for my Canon Digital Rebel and was impressed with it.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S / 90 3.8 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / 5D d*****l / L lenses

  3. #13
    Wade D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jamul, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    877
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    I was going to get a Tamron 28-200 and read a lot of awful reviews on it dyxum. Maybe they just got bad copies? I was looking for a good walkaround for my Maxxum 4, it's my walkaround 35mm because it weighs next to nothing. I have the 18-270 hyperzoom for my Canon Digital Rebel and was impressed with it.
    I haven't had any bad results with the Tamron 28-200. The "a little soft" comment comes from looking at the negs with a 25X loupe. 8x10 & 11x14 prints look fine. 16x20 prints might show a bit of the softness but I rarely enlarge 35mm to that size.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NY
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    9

    Max 7 is a Great Camera

    The Max 7 is a great camera. It is everything the Max 9 should have been - in features and versatility - but wasn't. I have the Max 9 as well so I know the difference.

    With regard to lenses, I mostly use the Tamron AF 28-300 zoom. I have been quite satisfied with the results at both ends of the range. If you can find it I recommend getting it.

    I also use the Minolta AF 50mm 1.7 for existing light shots. It has also been good, though of course being a fixed lens I don't get the versality of the Tamron.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    471
    Images
    24
    It is my favorite AF film body - Hands Down!
    Luke

    To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

    Georgia O'Keefe

  6. #16
    thicktheo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    103
    Images
    83
    ...and it works with all the Sigma HSM lenses - I got a Dynax (Maxxum) 7 one month ago and was very happy to see it cooperate perfectly with the newest Sigma 24-70/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8. With the vertical grip on, it's a wonderful AF camera, especially for the price I paid for it (170€).

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    11
    I've been using this camera for a couple of months. I love it very much! It's a great camera; you can do almost everything with a knob or a wheel. You don't have to press some button while dialing a wheel to change -for instance- exposure compensation or active AF point; all of them done by using one wheel or one button. For me, Dynax 7 is the most user-friendly 35mm SLR. It has great ergonomics too. It's not so big, which dissapointed me first; because i dreamed Minolta's legendery camera bigger than this, and very comfortable in hand. Most small AF SLRs don't have good ergonomics and because of this i was thinking a great SLR must be a "bigger" body. But after using this camera i see how i was wrong with that thought.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6
    I think that the 7 is one of the best (best?) "non professional" bodies ever made. Great ergonomics, features, and incredibly intuitive to use. Mine has been very reliable and coupled with an inexpensive 50/1.7 is capable of producing stellar images. And it's a blast to shoot with. What more can I expect of a camera?

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    62
    It's a wonderful camera, been using it for years. Metering is always spot on, don't even bother carrying my handheld meter anymore. And although it packs more features than most would ever use, they are all very easy to access - no need to lug around the manual to figure out how to change a setting.
    In fact it's so good I'm planning on getting another as a backup should this one ever fail.
    I've found the older Maxxum zooms to be superb. The 70-210 f4 is awesome for the price, as is the 28-85 f3.5-4.5, although the Alpha users are snapping them up and inflating the price a bit.
    I've no experience with primes or other brands, never felt the need to get more that the two listed above.
    The only downside I've found is that most people assume it's d*****l becuase of the large LCD readout on the back...

  10. #20
    Klainmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe, NM
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,493
    Images
    30
    I second everything people have said here. I own the Maxxum 7000 with a 50mm 1.7 and a Sigma 28-75mm (I think). The body is a brick, which gives a great, confident feel. Metering is spot on. Honestly, the 50mm is one of the best lenses I have used. I love the bokeh and how damn sharp and contrasty it is. It's absolutely great for color.

    Actually, if you're interested, I might be willing to sell the sucker. Since I got the M7 I rarely shoot it anymore. Two bodies, two lenses and a padded bag. Just a thought ^_^
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin