Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,464   Online: 857

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta Maxxum 7

Has anyone owned one of these and how would you rate it and the AF lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Bluedog,

I own a maxxum 7. IMHO, I found this to be one of the best Minolta AF cameras produced. Sure, it doesn't have the brick like qualities of the 9, but it is a slightly more modern design, which will take the latest SSM type AF lenses. As for AF lenses, Minolta made some of the best with its 'G' range, as good as anything that Canikon produced. Sony also have the Zeiss range, which are excellent as well (but quite pricey). For more lens information, you should check out the database at www.dyxum.com. There are reviews on most lenses.

As for the camera itself, I love mine.....maybe I am being biased!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    9... the Dynax / Maxxum 7 is a great camera, at least if you are not afraid of buttons! I love the unique abilities of storing exposure data, the huge well illuminated status display on the back, great for night photography with long exposures. I also regularly swap out film (change B&W for color or change speed) using the film reload capabilities. Works very well, just make sure you write down the last frame number on the film roll to avoid double exposures. Also note that reloading film requires you to set the "leader left-out" option in the custom menu. In addition, if you would like to keep track of the stored exposure data, also write down the unique ID that the camera assigns to each roll when unloading a roll that needs to be reloaded. The camera will assign a new unique ID once you reload, storing the exposure data under that number, so you need to combine the data from different "virtual" rolls if/when reloading film. Can be messy at times to reconstruct if you forgot to write down the ID's on the film roll.

I do it this way:

"Last exposure number - roll ID"

e.g. a film roll may have this written on it:

12 - 0139
    21 - 0142
    34 - 0148

Autofocus speed may not be on par with the most modern digital bodies, but I must admit I don't own one of these modern SSM lenses. Would love to try one out once on this body for shooting action / sport photography.
    Last edited by Marco B; 11-08-2010 at 03:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with the AF performance. I would rate it as adequate, not blistering, but not sluggish either. You have to remember that this camera is nearing 10 years since it was introduced and AF performance has come a long way since then! It does have 9 points, which is not bad for a camera of its age.

Re- the data capture, I just wish there was an easier way to transfer the data, then having to buy one of the readers (awfully expensive) or hand writing (which is what I do).

The other interesting feature is the STF focus function. I have heard that it works well, but I have never tried it myself!

BTW, there is still a review available online (By Gary Friedman, so he's probably a bit biased) from when it was released:

http://photo.net/equipment/minolta/greely/maxxum7

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like the Maxxum 7. I just wish that I could use it more often. I mostly use it for serious photography. I have several other "beat around" bodies that I take out for casual use. In addition to some of the comments posted above, I really like the ergonomics of it. It really feels good in the hands. Some of the buttons/knobs are very well placed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been looking for an alternative to the Canikon AF's and the Maxxum is looking pretty good. I have also been looking at the Maxxum lenses, both Minolta and non manufacturer brand. Is there a lens guide somewhere that gives a rating on the lenses? The sigma 24-70 f2.8 seems to have a couple of different models. Are the non-manufacturer brand maxxum lenses any good? Any thoughts on a zoom versus 2 or 3 primes? With my OM's I usually prefer to use my Zuiko primes. The Minolta primes are certainly cheap. Is it just because they are unfashionable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been looking for an alternative to the Canikon AF's and the Maxxum is looking pretty good. I have also been looking at the Maxxum lenses, both Minolta and non manufacturer brand. Is there a lens guide somewhere that gives a rating on the lenses? The sigma 24-70 f2.8 seems to have a couple of different models. Are the non-manufacturer brand maxxum lenses any good? Any thoughts on a zoom versus 2 or 3 primes? With my OM's I usually prefer to use my Zuiko primes. The Minolta primes are certainly cheap. Is it just because they are unfashionable?
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Their lens database has lots of user reviews and is the first place I would look for user based information.

As for Minolta being unfashionable, that is probably correct to some degree. CaNikon have always been the Pro's choice, simply because they had more choice and decent Pro programs. Pentax (here at least anyway) were probably more consumer based. Minolta were some where in between.

There is one other factor that saw Minolta slip down (and their ultimate down fall), was having their butts sued by Honeywell for patent breaches

Not withstanding the Honeywell issue, with better marketing (& decent pro user programs), there would have been no reason why Minolta couldn't have made a better name. If you ever get a chance to look at a Maxxum 9, you will under stand. The 9 was probably one of the best late model SLR's ever produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Maxxum 4. I love it and when I'm in a better financial situation I'm going to get a 7.

If you can find the black 35-70 f3.5-4.5, it is a tack sharp lens. 20 dollars at most pawn shops.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't think of any reason to not recommend it.

It's the most compatible of all the Minolta AF film bodies with the current Sony Alpha system. It works with the latest (full frame) lenses and the external flashes manufactured by Sony.

The camera itself is compact, yet with the VC-7 vertical grip, it's balanced with larger telephoto lenses of the 70-200 f/2.8 variety. The VC-7 also allows the camera to run on ubiquitous AA batteries.

The metering is accurate, as is the AF.

There are lots of options for excellent glass available, and it's the only game in town for Zeiss AF lenses on film. (Dynax/Maxxum 5 etc not withstanding.)

M42 lenses can be used, without an IQ-robbing glassed adapter. Infinity focus is maintained.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100/FM2n | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have the 7 but have a slightly older 8000i. I don't think it supports the SSM lenses. It does have a very nice, if plastic feeling, 28-200 Tamron lens. The auto focus is quite good IMO. The lens is also very sharp for most of the range. A little soft near the 28 and 200 settings but not bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin