Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,423   Online: 1048

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

lensbaby --- do you have yours?

i was reading the lf forum and someone asked about getting the large format look with a 35mm camera ... and someone posted a link to this website:
    http://www.lensbabies.com

i don't have one, but if i had $100 lying around waiting to be spent, i might just buy one.

anyone here have + use one of these things, and how do you like it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Lensbabies are a great idea at $25. At $100, they're a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a "Holgaesque" look.

I say...save yourself some money. Get a cheap loupe or other small lens, some flexible tubing, and assemble it on the front of a camera body that has a focal plane shutter. Voila...you're an artist!

Seriously: If you like the look, check out this:

http://marktucker.com/plungercam/

(Of course, he took the "expensive loupe on an expensive camera" route...but you get the idea.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    The Lensbabies are a great idea at $25. At $100, they're a bit more than I'm willing to spend for a "Holgaesque" look.

I say...save yourself some money. Get a cheap loupe or other small lens, some flexible tubing, and assemble it on the front of a camera body that has a focal plane shutter. Voila...you're an artist!

Seriously: If you like the look, check out this:

http://marktucker.com/plungercam/

(Of course, he took the "expensive loupe on an expensive camera" route...but you get the idea.)
    that is what i was thinking ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my Spiratone Portragon. Its a T2 mount so I can get various mounts for different bodies. I'm looking for something similar in medium format.

And oh, the Portragon was about $25 bucks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    Indeed. If one really pounds eBay hard, they can get a 4x5 with lens and all the same movements for a very similar price ( I gotten two 4x5s with lens for about $120 each) and then have the big juicy 4x5 negative as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, $100.00 is a LOT for that look. IIRC many optical companies will see simple, basic lenses cheap that you can buy cheap and use to make the same thing.

Love the plunger cam look. Better than the lensbaby I think....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Images
    I'd be a bit frightened that a overzealous pump of the the lens would blow the mirror and shutter out the back of the Hassy. A Holga seems the financially prudent way to go
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It does reek of the "Lipstick on a pig" thing....Although I guess this would be a pig on lipstick...or..something....

That metaphor didn't work as planned....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

John,

These are very easy to hack.... I made one a few months ago for my Blad.... Neoprene and a simple lens element (yellow duct tape for style). I think there is a thread here on APUG about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Yeah, $100.00 is a LOT for that look. IIRC many optical companies will see simple, basic lenses cheap that you can buy cheap and use to make the same thing.
    Check out www.surplusshed.com if you're looking for lens elements to experiment with. Their selection is quite good, and occasionally they come up with complete lenses (from fax machines, copiers, etc.) that are also a blast to experiment with.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin