Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,962   Online: 963

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I say--get the FE-2 I have a huge sentimental attachment to the FE-2 though. It was the first camera I purchased--in 1984, got her NIB. She held up well over the years shooting countless rolls color, B&W, and slides. Two years ago she finally died not the electronics or the shutter, but something in the film advance mechanism. I picked a new used one up of eBay for $120 or so.

But with all that said you can't go wrong with either the FE-2 or FM-2. I like having the option of Aperture Priority and the TTL flash metering really works well. In a previous post someone stated the shutter speed with out a battery defaulted to 1/90 which isn't true it's 1/250 same an the max flash sync.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, what the heck - throw another model into the fray: How about an FA? It is what the FE2 should have been. Heck, it is what the F3 should have been...

Ken Rockwell review
    MIR review [click on the links - lots of info on the camera on this site]
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-10-2010 at 11:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had both these cameras (FM2, FE2), I bought the FM2 new around '96 and got the FE2 2nd hand around '01 I think. The way I shoot, they're almost the same, both have the 4000 shutter and 250 sync. The FM2 has a nice meter readout +0-, the FE2 has a needle which can be tricky to see in dim light, but I'd always put it on auto when that happened. I sold the FE2 and kept the FM2 purely on the grounds that I don't need two cameras, I think I chose to keep the FM2 because I bought it new. Regarding batteries, they last an age in the FM2, I've replaced mine three times in maybe 14 years. I keep a spare set in my bag just in case, but they tend to go out of date before I need them.

The FM3a is sort of a mix of both these cameras. A nice review on that camera with a nicely written introduction here:

http://joshmadison.com/notebook/nikon-fm3a-review/
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My FM2 has never let me down.

My FE2 has.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FM2 and FE2 are both very good choices. I've had both and liked them both. Can't say which one is better. FE2's AE is of course nice to have but you can use FM2 almost as fast if you have some kind of an idea of what the exposure could be. FE2 does have TTL but that's the old "key lighting only" TTL which is not too much better than a usual Thyristor flash you can use with both models.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    How is the build quality and materials used in the FM3A?
    Check out the development insight on the FM3A.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm a fan of the original FM over the FM2 and FM3. It's mostly an emotional response. The FM has more metal bits on it. Seems like they were trying to shave costs on the FM2 and FM3. I'm under no illusion that this makes any difference to the reliability of the camera. I just like metal and I don't need 1/4000th or any of the other spec improvements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    My FM2 has never let me down.

My FE2 has.
    Oh I would like to hear this please elaborate!!!!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Aside from a sense of whimsy, Nikon's rationale for the FM3a was curiously uninformed by the huge changes afoot in imaging. I recall handling one at Nikon.ca when they first arrived in Canada and thinking, "too bad it's not 1995!" They were DOA(along with the little 45.28 Ai-P lens)at most retailers, who struggled to justify their steep pricing(around US$800 body only) alongside Nikon's sub-1000 buck DSLRs like the D70. Despite the technical sophistication of the FM3a, it didn't have the apparent build quality of the earlier FM/FE bodies.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    I have both of them and if I would have to decide on one of them, the FE2 would have to go. But which one you prefer is probably a question of preference as both are good cameras. I for myself think that the FM2 just has exactly the features I need. Not more but also not less.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin