Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,238   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

In Praise of Cameraleather

I decided to recover my OM-1 with Cameraleather's GripTac material. The old covering came off incredibly easily. The new covering went on well thanks to Cameraleather's support pages on their website. It looks like a new camera and feels way more "grippy". I have an OM-4T (the champagne color) on the way right now......any opinions on what I should cover the OM-4T with?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The original covering?
    I wouldn't change it, unless absolutely necessary.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Blasphemy, but I just replaced a Leica IIIc vulcanite with the gray GripTac. The vuncanite was about 40% chipped off, etc. It took me about a month after ordering it to give it a go, but I'm happy with the result.

It doesn't have the classy feel of the original but I like the lower contrast look. Less of a shelf item, more of a functional tool. Feels good in the hands as well. Fitting for a camera which came engraved and is by no means meant for a shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to give my cameras a new cover (and light seals too!). I think I've done a dozen or so. Griptac is my favourite cover from Morgan at Cameraleather.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a user kind of a guy. The Griptac covering improves the feel (but not the appearance). My OM1 is from 1978 when I bought it used high school....yes, it looks a bit more used now!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far my cameras look good, but one day I might just change.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When my XD11 leatherette shrank and turned ugly, I just bought some lambskin off ebay and glued it on. Looks and feels great and cost 1/5 of the cameraleather version.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    I decided to recover my OM-1 with Cameraleather's GripTac material. The old covering came off incredibly easily. The new covering went on well thanks to Cameraleather's support pages on their website. It looks like a new camera and feels way more "grippy". I have an OM-4T (the champagne color) on the way right now......any opinions on what I should cover the OM-4T with?
    It's a great product. You can go with a subtle, more-or-less correct replacement but the variety is tempting. I pimped a couple of ratty SRT 101s with reptile coverings and gave 'em away as Xmas gifts a few years ago. The coverings on 60s-70s cameras can shrink, decay, fade, and resist glue, so these replacements are much appreciated. A friend did his Canon S90(otherwise slick as a wet bar of soap) in the grippy stuff and loves it. Too bad there's nothing yet for Mamiya RB bodies and backs!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    CameraLeather are great. I decided to re-cover my C330f in moroccan red leatherette. No chance of misplacing it now, not even on a dark night.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    So far my cameras look good, but one day I might just change.

Jeff
    We like you the way you are, Jeff.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin