Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,790   Online: 772

Shooter
    35mm

Changing Pentax MX Focusing Screen

Hi,

I have a Pentax MX and a Pentax K1000. I would like to be using the MX, however there are heavy cleaning marks on the focusing screen. Where can I buy a replacement focusing screen? I would prefer not to use eBay if possible. Is it possible to take the focusing screen from the K1000 (or any other SLR) and put it in the MX? Thanks in advance

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ztriola View Post
    Hi,

I have a Pentax MX and a Pentax K1000. I would like to be using the MX, however there are heavy cleaning marks on the focusing screen. Where can I buy a replacement focusing screen? I would prefer not to use eBay if possible.
    KEH is one source.

Is it possible to take the focusing screen from the K1000 (or any other SLR) and put it in the MX? Thanks in advance
    No.

Another possible solution is to buy a broken MX just to salvage its focusing screen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try KEH. www.keh.com They have an SC-1 (the standard screen) in EX condition right now. Their computer auto-complete converts SC-1 to Soft Cover-1, which can be confusing, but if you know that, you're OK.
    Screens from the LX will fit just fine and are less grainy and brighter. Their extra brightness will probably throw off the meter slightly though, which can compensated for on the ASA dial or by getting the meter adjusted. LX screens have similar numbering schemes to MX screens. For example, an LX's SC-21 is the same type as an MX SC-1.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also recommed KEH. Of course you could look up E-bay.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    About MX (and LX) focusing screens - Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax Focusing Screens

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't believe the MX and K1000 screens are interchangeable between the two models. In fact, the K1000 has a fixed screen, and you will need to remove the top deck to remove the screen.

These days, you'll probably have to go to KEH or another third party to find a screen. The MX has been out of production for a long time. I first bought this camera in 1979.

Shooter
    35mm
    How about the ME Super? Mine has a dirty viewfinder. Maybe its cheaper to find a replacement body though, there's plenty out there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin