Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,488   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FM meter LED repair?

Picked up a real nice looking FM on eBay for $20. Few marks, and everything appears to work smoothly except no LED indicators light up for the metering. This was disclosed in the description.

Will be a good shooter using Sunny 16 or hand-held meter, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this could be repaired for a semi reasonable cost? I've got an email in to Garry's for a possible CLA and his opinion on a repair, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Not looking to put a ton more money into it. Maybe just get some new light seals and shoot it as it is.

Anyone else have any experience with similar problem?

Shooter
    35mm
    Surprised there were no opinions here.

I've been in touch with Garry. He said there is a 50/50 chance that the Meter can be repaired, depends entirely on what the problem is. I'll be sending it in to him on Tuesday along with a F3 and FE2 for CLAs. If he finds he can repair the FM, he will for the cost of the CLA. This is a nice looking camera, and everything else seems to function fine.

If he can't fix it, I guess I'll get better at Sunny 16. Might be fun.

I'll post back when I get them back.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got an email from Garry. Says that the cameras have been repaired, and they will be sent back to me in tomorrow's mail. I'm taking that to mean that he was able to repair the light meter. Good news. His prices are great and he's answered all of my emails within a few hours. So far very happy with his service. If they all look and work good when I get them back, I think I'll be sending more work his way. Will let you know in a few days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, please report back with a critique of his repairs. It's always nice to have this info in the archives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used him (Garry) in the past and would not hesitate to use him again. Will be interested to hear LyleB's experience.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a similar situation with my fm2, but please forgive me for my ignorance - who's Garry? How can I get my fm2 sent to him?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.garryscamera.com/

(note the 2 Rs in Garry)
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Clean the battery contacts with white vinegar. Slap in a new battery. It's a great camera!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    La FM y FE usan las pilas al revès
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    http://www.garryscamera.com/

(note the 2 Rs in Garry)
    Cool. Many thanks. I'll contact him to see if my camera can be fixed. Thanks for the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin