Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,455   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Manual film camera

I currently use a 35 mm Holga and a SLR. I like the simplicity of the Holga but am looking for a camera that has a little more feature wise but is smaller than a SLR. I'm looking for something with an aperture ring. If anyone could give me ideas that would be great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What sort of SLR do you use? A modern auto focus one or an older manual focus one?
    A fixed lens rangefinder like a Canonet QL 17 GIII or Minolta Hi-Matic 7s II might be what you want. Excellent optics, small size and control over shutter speed and aperture.
    Alternatively, if you are using a large modern SLR, then maybe something small like an OM Olympus might be an idea?
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    35mm
    I really like the Olympus OM-1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus cameras are full featured and small, as are some of the later Minoltas (electronic ones such as the X-700). The Canon AE-1P is pretty good too, and small and light, not to mention dirt cheap.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackcrusaders View Post
    ...but is smaller than a SLR...
    Well, you'll be surprised just how small (film) SLRs can be. (For example, the Pentax MX, with a 40mm pancake lens, will certainly fit into a (trouser or jacket) pocket easily.

Check out the M-series Pentaxes and the OM-series Olympus. There are, also, some pretty small Canons and Nikons.

As far as features and flexibility go, you simply cannot beat 35mm (film) SLRs: they have the most extensive potential of aplication to any aspect of (film) photography: all other (film) "types" have serious built in design handicaps which limit the extent of their usefulness.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Voigtlander Bessa series rangefinder cameras are pretty great cameras. They have a Leica M lens mount so there are lots of lenses out there that are compatible. You can buy them new and second-hand. There are fully-manual versions and ones with aperture-priority automatic.

Shooter
    35mm
    Minolta 7sII / Canon QL-17 III are one of the most best small compact rangefinder cameras, and there are bunch of them around, so It wouldn't be much hard to get one.
    First, it's good to try any camera with rangefinder focusing system, if you are not introduced to it, because it's different from SLR, which might be important to you.
    "It's not about the pictures, concepts, people, human bodies, emotions, experimentations, colours, dreams, tricky scenes, camera or imaginations.. it's about the poetry behind them all."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stevco View Post
    Minolta 7sII / Canon QL-17 III are one of the most best small compact rangefinder cameras, and there are bunch of them around, so It wouldn't be much hard to get one.
    First, it's good to try any camera with rangefinder focusing system, if you are not introduced to it, because it's different from SLR, which might be important to you.
    http://www.cameraquest.com/com35s.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depending on your needs, keep away from rangefinders: they are nowhere near as flexible as slrs

I know many tout them for "street photography", and that is about their extent of usefulness.

They suck at everything else .

I know, I have several.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Galah, I don't usually flame, but honestly, what the @+!@@! are you talking about? I wish the OP the best of luck finding the best 35mm camera and he's found the right place to get advice. That being said, every format has pluses and minuses. I wish everyone the good fortune of sticking with film long enough to enjoy and curse each of them. And remember, it's almost never the camera that sucks, but rather the user. OP, you'll get great advice here. Steveco's recommendations are a very good start.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin