Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,437   Online: 698

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like you are getting towards making a choice. In all honesty, whatever you choose will be capable of taking both good and bad pix. Apart from the fact that 35mm allows you to shoot great lenses for not much money, unlike d*****l, the biggest difference you will find from a compact is depth of field. You just can't get this to the same extent, and it is what often makes a great photo in my opinion; the ability to have the subject in focus and the background out of focus.

Also

I'll be able to post off the used film to a developing firm and get back the negatives and photos in about three days. No problem, I won't have forgotten where I took them by then. However, I can envisage wanting to computerise some of the shots but can't quite see the best way to do it.
    Suggest you give these guys a try over in Hull

http://www.photo-express.co.uk/index.html

It costs £4.50 inc return postage to get a film developed and returned on CD as 6MP approx JPG files. (No prints, but they are inexpensive for these as well). This is what I do, and then you can just print the photos you want, and if you get some really great ones, you still have the negs you can send out for a professional print. They turn around same day. I usually get stuff back the day after I posted it.

For film try http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777 good prices. standard delivery a bit slow, but reliable. Or for next day http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ or http://www.discountfilmsdirect.co.uk...mera_Film.html tho' I haven't tried discount film direct myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm in agreement of the K-1000 for a newish body or go all the way back to the Spotmatic, an all mechanical camera with the battery only for the meter. I am surprised no one has mentioned the Yashica. The FX-3 and FX-3Super all mechanica bodies while at the beginner price point benefitted from Yashica's Contax program and the bodies are pretty hardy. Coupled with the Yashica/Contax lens mount and you can start with the Zeiss induced Yashica lenses that are an absolute bargain and with time if you want move up to the Contax/Zeiss mount lenses that were sold with the Yashica/Contax cameras such as the RTS series.

Another good buy is the Olympus OM-1. The system lenses are excellent and prices a bargain compared to the quality of the glass. While the camera is small, the results are huge from it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I agree on the recommendations posted before. Pentax and Olympus are very nice SLR systems to begin with -and keep.

You might not need to operate a manual camera before doing the jump from a P&S to 35mm SLR; I did it that way, and once you know how to manage the settings, it's easy. The first time I shot manual was with a Film Nikon AF, and results were much better than I expected. You might have a relative or friend with an stored 35mm you might be able to borrow.

I chose the OM-1 and could get it CLA'd (serviced) already and adapted to modern 1.55v batteries, only praises to it and it delivers more than I will ever need in a close future. If shot well 35mm will give you very good results that can be a bit overwhelming at first when used to digi P&S.

Another way to get cheap might be a Rangefinder, although the viewfinder system isn't TTL.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Had to change my mind somewhat now. I'm growing increasingly suspicious of cameras described as in excellent condition by vendors on Ebay, who only show one dark photo of their camera and few details to boot. So I've started looking at online pro dealers and cameras like the Pentax P30t I was most interested in are few and far between.

I live about 50 miles from a big town with photo shops a journey I'm reluctant to make as I'm very busy at the moment. So I'm going for a camera in plentiful supply online from reputable dealers: the Nikon N80 (F80 here). I know that it's autofocus and programmed but the camera can be used in full manual mode only.

I do have a few questions:
    It seems that to be able to manually focus with a N80 I have to have an autofocus lens, the D type AF Nikkor. Have I got this right?
    I can get the N80 body only. I starting to think that a prime lens wider than the 50mm I first plumped for will be better, as I will be using it in the great outdoors, Say a 28mm. Can anyone recommend a lens?
    Some of the cameras come with short zooms, 28-80mm say. These aren't much dearer than body only. Are they worth having or just a cheapo kit thing?

I've spent hours and hours on this. Gonna press the button after I've read your answers......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not knowing where you're located, I don't know if this helps.
    KEH ( http://keh.com ) has a P3t rated as EX right now for $39. They have an SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2 for $43.
    They are a good outfit. They rate very conservatively, so EX will be like most others' "like new" or "mint".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Bettonbaby. How about http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-BOXED-Cano...item41548fbbd5

These go around £50-£60 for a used with a kit lens, so I guess this one will probably go circa £80-90, perhaps £120 if he's lucky. I have one of these and have to say its a great point and squirt SLR. I use it when I need full auto and rapid autofocus when my OM1 or OM2 won't do, but it is also fully manual or aperture or shutter priority auto. My view on the kit zooms is they are adequate, but useful. the 35-105 I have on the 300V isn't bad at all, but just about noticeably not as good as the zuiko primes on my olympus

uploaded a gallery image here:- http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...atid=newimages

For a different point of view, there is always ffordes https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm who at least offer a 3 months warranty. I have used them with slightly mixed feelings. received a flash from them described as good, but was in fact duff (they hadn't tested it as they say they do), but they sent a replacement and re-imbursed the postage fast enough, so I guess that's OK.
    Last edited by mr rusty; 11-25-2010 at 09:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You are correct. The N80 will require an AF-D lens to meter correctly. The N90s will meter manual focus lenses and is probably available for cheaper than an N80. I bought an N80 and a 50 1.8 AF-D lens for less than $200. It's a great combo and can make stunning pictures. If you're used to shooting digital the N80 will be an easy transition. It's a very easy to use camera. If you want to go wider, the 35 f2 af lens is great but will probably run about $250. The auto focus works really well when you want to do that. I never use it for manual focus.

I recommend KEH as well as Adorama and B&H. Ebay is a gamble so I don't risk over $25 on it.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Okay, tonight's the night I press the button and bid for or buy a camera from an online dealer. (I'm in England so can't deal with KEH, unfortunately). Thanks to the wonderful help I've had from this forum I know that my needs can be met by a variety of cameras and this will make things easier. I'm certainly not reading any more reviews or blogs as my head has only just stopped spinning.

I won't return to this thread, either. Enough is enough. But once I've had a week or two playing with manual focus, aperture selection and exposure values I'll be back with a binful of questions.

Look forward to hearing from you again in other threads ..............

Many thanks to you all.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin