Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,744   Online: 918

Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon FTbN finder display...

I recently won a Canon FTb camera on eBay and have been very impressed with its solidity, handling, ease of focusing (quite a compliment as I prefer split-beam finders to microprisms on the whole), etc.

I am curious as to the differences between the FTb and the later FTbN camera. I have heard the latter has a plastic-tipped winding lever (whoop-dee-doo) and an enhanced viewfinder display. I assume that means that one or both of the selected shutter speed and lens aperture are displayed.

Can somebody clarify which or both are shown in the FTbN's display?

Thanks
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    According to FTb-N
    Fixed eye-level pentaprism. 0.85x magnification and 94% coverage. Microprism rangefinder of fresnel matte screen. Metering indicator, exposure match needle, stopped-down metering needle, shutter speed display, and high- and low-light warning provided.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No f/stop in the FTbN's finder. As Les Sarile said, the shutter speed's in the lower left corner, the match metering is along the right side of the frame and there's a little red circle which pops up in the lower right for too dark/too light images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at this page from the Canon Museum for more info on both cameras:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/c.../series_f.html

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The functional and cosmetic differences of which I am aware are 1) EIs up to 3200, instead of just 2000, 2) shorter advance stroke, 3) shutter speed in viewfinder, 4) plastic-tipped advance lever, 5) advance lever does not stick out as far in the "standby" position, and 6) timer/MLU/DOF multi-function lever is now the same as the one on the F-1, skinny and black, with a white center line, instead of the fatter silver scalloped lever with no center line on the earlier models (carried over from their FL SLRs). Since it is roughly to the original FTb what the 1976 F-1 is to the 1971 F-1, there may be some minor internal changes as well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm

Canon FTbN finder display

If you ever use older FL lenses or T mount lenses in stop-down metering mode the depth of field lever on the older FTb is more comfortable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hey, I've got an N, great camera -- you can drive nails with it, just like a Nikkormat. Though I'll admit that for my FD lenses, my T90 is wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The meter needle with the circle on it IS the aperture display in a way. It follows the range available on the lens, wide open at the bottom and fully stopped down at the top.

My FTbN only goes up to 2000 ASA (1600 and one more click). It shows shutter speed in the viewfinder, has the plastic tipped shorter travel winder lever and small stop-down lever.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information, everybody. Hpulley - it never occurred to me to infer the aperture from the match needle position. That's a good tip.

The Canon FTb is a joy to use. It doesn't have the smoothness of operation of, say, a Spotmatic II but it's superbly engineered to assist the photographer. I find it easy to hand-hold and it has great balance with heavy lenses (e.g. the 55mm f/1.2 FD BL).
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I too have a 55mm f/1.2 and it is a great combo though I really like it with the old 35mm f/2 SSC, the one with the concave front throrium element which is by now a nice built-in yellow filter LOL
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin