Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,642   Online: 790

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc More View Post
    You can get lucky but outside of eBay then. I got a similar A-1 kit with 3 lenses (including 35mm f/3.5 and 50mm f/1.4, a 199A strobe and I'm not sure about the 3rd lens). For the sum of EUR 35.00 I think, sometime last year. This was in a generic second-hand shop where they sell anything from sofas to old TV sets but don't know much about the value of collector items.

In addition to the Canon squeak already mentioned, the A-1 is known to die (sometimes) from the dreaded EEEE flashing error code in the viewfinder. Like all A-series Canon cameras, if the electronics are bad (or if the battery is empty) then the camera is basically dead.

Otherwise it's the top of the "prosumer" A-series, with all its exposure modes. However it won't necessarily take better pictures than the less regarded AV-1 or AT-1. It's just more fancy. And can actually be more difficult to use because of all these auto modes.
    All you have to do is carry a spare battery, my last battery lasted more than ten years.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Update:

I decided to pass on the A1. I advised my co-worker to have it serviced to get rid of the squeak and to keep it as a family heirloom. I'm sure her grand-kids will (hopefully) someday enjoy using the camera that belonged to the grandfather they never had a chance to meet.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the A1!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin