Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,318   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

SRT101 stuck mirror.

Hello people! Lovely forum you have here

I have an Minolta SRT101 from the 1960s. I can tell it's the early model (probably from the first batch) because of the serial number starting with 125xxxx. It's a beautiful camera, and I'm glad I have it at such a young age. From what I can tell hasn't been in repair once. The mirror damper and seals are still there and appear to be in great shape. This thing literally feels like it's gonna last longer than I am. That said there's been some issues recently.

First off, I have 4 lenses that go with this thing.

58mm MC-Rokkor-PF f1.4 (the classic one with silver aperture)
    50mm MD Rokkor F2 (a backup lens from a newer SRT100x/200 that I had)
    28mm MC-CPC F2.8 (not a rokkor but works fine)
    200mm MC-Rokkor-QF F3.5 (again classic with silver aperture)

The SRT101 has been firing off perfectly for quite some time now. Problem is over time, the 58mm has developed a sticky/stiff focusing issue that makes focusing a royal pain. The ring occasionally slips when i focus away from infinity. To make matters worse, my mirror now refuses to return once I trip the shutter. Mirror lockup also fails to return. The thing is this ONLY happens with this lens on. The mirror only returns when I remove the 58mm lens, or sometimes when i turn the focus ring.

I tested with the other 3 lenses and mirror and lockup return works flawlessly.

So I doubt it's the camera (although the MC coupling ring on the mount has also started to stick causing a slight delay in metering whenever i increase aperture but i figure some lube should solve that), and more the lens. Can anyone back me up on this?

What should I do?
    Last edited by little-infinity; 11-25-2010 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    does the 58mm lens focus to infinity?

It sounds like there is something up with this lens that is causing the mirror to physically jam with the lens in place..

I would either service the lens, or just use your other 50mm lens....

I've never had this problem with any of the 8 or 10 SR and SRT series Minoltas I've owned...
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would also check the suspect lens to see if the aperture opens and closes in a snappy manner.

If the aperture is sluggish, perhaps it's interfering with the mirror.

And in any case, it sounds as if that lens should be serviced (cleaned and relubricated).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would also make certain that the back elements are not in the way of the mirror's travel. Highly unlikely as this problems has recently appeared. If this were the case it would have always happened. Just brainstroming here.

Has the lens been dropped?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that I know of. It's a mighty old lens from my research though. I assume it's the very one that was sold with the SRT101 as a kit (I wish today's SLR kits were that good!). I know a place in Port Credit that will do repairs on site. I'll go get an estimate.

Andrew: From what I can tell, it does, but it gets kinda stuck just BEFORE infinity. One has to put even more force to get it into infinity. I dont try to focus the lens now. The mirror isn't hitting the lens or i would have heard it crack or something. It just doesn't return with that specific lens mounted which is a pity. The moment i push the lens release pin it goes back to normal. I can deal with it but it's rather a nuisance. The optics look clean as a bell.

Mike: Not sure what you mean by sluggish/snappy. Aperture appears to work flawlessly clicking at all stops, DOF preview works too! It stops down at all speeds.

The only plausble explanation is that the sticky focusing has caused the lens' rear element to go awry, and the camera *thinks* the mirror might hit it. How this is so beats me, as this camera doesn't really have a brain! Perhaps the needs a focus calibration? I am totally baffled. Focus looks okay in the viewfinder, but it's hard to tell.

So is my best option to get it checked? I hope the lens isn't a kicker.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, here's a thought. When you look into the front of the camera, with the lens removed, in the bottom of the socket there is a triangular-shaped lever that, when the shutter is actuated, moves back and forth to actuate the lens diaphragm from full open to whatever the lens aperture is set at.

In the chain of things that happen when an exposure is made, I think that lever has to get back to home position for the mirror to then return to the lowered position. In the way it works, if the diaphragm of the lens sticks, the lever will still return, simply leaving the diaphragm wherever it is stuck. But, perhaps, if the pin in the lens that the lever actates was actually interfering with the lever by not going into the camera body deep enough, so that the lever gets behind the pin instead of alongside it, this could stop the sequence. Pushing the lens release button maybe lets the lens move enough to allow the lever to return fully.

This is the only scenario that comes to my mind that could cause the problem you describe with just the one lens. There'd be lots of possibilities if it happened all the time. There're a number of Minolta forums around where you might get some more specific expertise.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OOOH now that's an idea!

I'll go take a look. I also notice when mounting this lens, it's alot stiffer than my other lenses (IE harder to turn and lock into the mount). I thought this was a symptom of low usage, but could it mean something else?

Regardless, thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alrighty. Sorry for the double post (not sure if this is allowed) but it turns out you were right. The lens DOESNT focus to infinity. It reaches what appears to be "infinity" at 5m.

I'm guessing all this lens needs is a simple lube and focus adjustment and I'm set? Or is it dead?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by little-infinity View Post
    Alrighty. Sorry for the double post (not sure if this is allowed) but it turns out you were right. The lens DOESNT focus to infinity. It reaches what appears to be "infinity" at 5m.
    So it is the back element of the lens interfering with mirror travel. When you crank the lens in past infinity/"5m" the back part of the lens goes farther into the mirror box of the camera -- the mirror then hits the back of the lens and sticks, the slightest movement unsticks the mirror and it returns. The lens need only interfere with the mirror by a few thousands of an inch so there needn't be any great sound of crashing mirrors and grinding gears. The mirror rotates on a springy zero-lash pivot that will allow it to move back an ooch as it hits the back of the lens.

The problem arises because someone before you took the lens apart and either put it back with the focusing helical in the wrong set of grooves or lost the infinity-stop pin.

The reasons the lens may have had an attempted DIY servicing are oil on the diaphragm blades/sticky diaphragm, dried grease in the focusing helical or dirt/clouding/fungus on the interior lens elements.

Get the lens serviced by a reputable shop. Ask on APUG for the name of shops in your area or for mail-order repair outfits that service Minoltas. The repair is generic, though, and any serviceperson should be able to fix it.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 11-27-2010 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi again - I'm having a slow day, so I'll join you in the double-post.

Take a good look at the flange end of your lens and see if there is obvious damage - bent pin, mechanism pushed inwards etc. I suspect perhaps the thing was dropped as what you're describing doesn't sound anything like normal wear. See if you can actuate the diaphragm with the pin - set the lens at minimum aperture and see if it opens and closes nice and snappy.

My experience has been that lens repairs are very expensive - not really any such thing as a simple lube and adjust, like a camera body. You gotta really love a lens, or the lens has to have considerable value to have it reworked by a professional.

The MC 58mm 1.4 is a fine lens, but it isn't one of the Minolta to-die-for collectibles. They made a lot of them. You may be further ahead to keep an eye on the bay for a nice example that doesn't have any problems than to pursue getting this one fixed.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin