Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,113   Online: 946

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an N75 for a very lightweight option. Full auto if you want it, relatively cheap. Did I say lightweight?

Not as solid of build, but very light! Works great.

I also have an FE, FE2, FM, FM2n, N90s, F100 and will be getting a F3HP tomorrow, but the N75 is, by far, the lightest of them all.

Love/Hate how cheap these great cameras are today. Too easy to keep buying.

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    An FE2 with E series 35/2.5 would yield a light, solid kit. don't scoff at the idea of the plastic bodied E35/2.5; it has good glass:

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see that a lot of people have recommended some of the most solid and dependable bricks, um, err, cameras Nikon makes, well except LyleB who recommended the N75. I will toss my support for the N(or F if you want a black body) 65, 75, and 80. You will have to do your homework on all three because they are all slightly different and have control layout issues that are unique to each, but if you want something light that can get the job done don't overlook these plastic Nikons.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I own lots of cameras. So do most of us. Some have specific tasks, like the Canon F-1 I keep in the car all Winter loaded with Tri-X, no battery, for spur of the moment shots. For me the N75 is my go-to lightweight camera. It's been with me every time I want a lightweight option that still has plenty of power. I don't think my N80 is quite as light but that'd be my second choice. Pair it with the plastic mount cheapo 35-80mm Nikkor and you pretty much have the ultimate in both lightweight and quality. Just don't drop the lens. It's not big on build quality but the optics are good.

Oh, and you can buy a grip for the N75 or N80 to take AA batteries, but then you lose the smallness and light weight. You can have cheap, reliable, and lightweight - pick any two.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the advice - lots of good thoughts.

Good news - I was gifted from my father-in-law a Nikon EM with a 50mm f/1.8 Series E lens. The camera was serviced in 1996 - probably due again, but I'll run a test roll. This should help me decide if I want to stick with a manual body, or move up to something newer.

Any other small cheap lenses available? A 35mm f2.5 was mentioned - maybe even wider than that?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please consider a Nikon N2020. Nikon's first successful autofocus model, it's very handy AND takes AAA batteries! Can AF or manual focus, has auto film advance but you have to rewind by hand, via the familiar crank on top of the knob. I have one with a period AF 35-70mm zoom; that zoom is superb and almost qualifies as a macro lens. It's an alternate "in car camera", sharing the space under my car's passenger seat with a Yashica Electro 35. The cameras are dirt cheap; I got mine at an estate auction with the lens for $10. Not flashy and of course doesn't have a built-in flash or plethora of "modes" but It Just Works.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice - lots of good thoughts.

Good news - I was gifted from my father-in-law a Nikon EM with a 50mm f/1.8 Series E lens. The camera was serviced in 1996 - probably due again, but I'll run a test roll. This should help me decide if I want to stick with a manual body, or move up to something newer.

Any other small cheap lenses available? A 35mm f2.5 was mentioned - maybe even wider than that?
    Same size but much more capable is the FG--the smallest SLR Nikon made. They sold well so they're common and very affordable now, often in very nice shape.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got an FG I've been meaning to sell. I picked it up from KEH earlier in the year but have been shooting rangefinders instead recently. I don't recall the condition it was in at KEH but the camera looks very nice. No problems with it, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    There's a 28mm Series E which you could look at. Try to find the second version as it's got better build quality - it's the one with a rubber focus ring.
    Steve.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just happen to have here with me on my desk a Nikon FA (I know it's not what you are looking for), but I have a nice 28mm 2.8 D on it that I purchased for less than $100 and it does produce quite a nice photo.

Pros: Sharp, auto focus, soothe manual focus, rubber focus ring for that no slip feeling.

Cons: Plastic body that makes it light weight and I never broke it but some don't like that. Sometimes it can be a little too wide for my taste.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin