Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,095   Online: 813

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The 28mm f2.8 AIS is a great lens but its price is overinflated right now due to the good reviews.

If you stick with manual focus, the 28mm f2.8 Ai is also good and may be less expensive than the ais.
    The 35mm and 24mm nikkors are also great. You really cannot miss with the nikkors.
    The series E 28m may be dissapointing but the 100mm is decent from what I hear.

I have both the N75 and the N80. The N80 is a hair heavier but still ultralight compared to most otheres. The N80 feels a bit more solid than the N75, but then I've dropped by N75 a couple of times with no ill effect. The controls are almost the same. I think the N75 actually has more exposure modes if you care. Both have Auto, Aperture priority, shutter priority, and program.

Ive been surprised by good iq of the 28-80mm G lens. But I really like the 50mm f1.8 on these.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, this figures - the EM that I was gifted is broken. The needle on the internal meter doesn't move, despite inserting fresh batteries. The battery check light seems to come on, and the shutter operates. Doubt it's worth having this fixed.

So, back in the market. The overall size and handling of the EM seems decent, so I think I'll look for a FE or FE2. They seem to run about $45-60.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll join the other recommendations for the FG. For a while I had an EM as the "car camera", but was always put off by its automation (although the photos were always well exposed). I wanted another light Nikon body, but with some degree of control - and found it in an FG. Added bonus and surprise: it has the brightest viewfinder of all my Nikons!
    Very light, very capable, you can use it in manual or automatic mode. Couple it with a 50/1.8 Series E and you have an extremely small, light and capable camera. It would also be a nice kit/camera for an outdoors person.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the idea of N80. I have one along with F-100. It's light and plastic (and light....) Combined with 50mm f/1.8, it's a very nice second camera. Batteries seem to last quite a while but they aren't AAs.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would definately spring for an FE series body over a FG. The FE is only slightly larger but oh so much better built.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got an FE and a N80. I prefer the N80. Its mirror is the quietest and has the least slap of any slr I own. My FE has quite the kick and is pretty loud despite having put in a new mirror cushion. The N80 can use all the auto focus lenses, the FE can use all the manual lenses. The N80 has spot, matrix and center-weighted metering. I trust the meter for slide film. The only time the N80 takes a bad shot is when I screw up. The N80 has a TTL pop-up flash with balanced fill. Got a back-lit subject? Just pop open the flash and snap. Or use the spot meter, or use the spot meter and the flash. The camera is really smart and easy to use. Feeling lazy? Use the auto-focus and program mode as a point and shoot. Feeling creative? Use manual mode and manual focus.

If I was only going to have one camera, (and I have about 20 now) it would be the N80.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had an FG.

I currently own 2 FM2n's. They are dependable, not much to wrong with in terms of electronics, take the LR/SR 44 batteries for the meter (which works in full stops only, but that's not really a problem if you are shooting B&W). But I enjoy not having to worry about the camera / electronics and the FM2n is the one I go to in really horrible conditions (snow / rainstorms etc) when the thing just has to work. Worst thing that I've had happen is that the little batteries die and I have to think just a touch more about exposure.

Again, it's very much about what you want.

FM2n shot in a snow storm where both I and the camera wear soaking wet, I don't think I'd have gotten this shot if I'd used something I didn't think was near indestructable:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's exactly what I'm hoping for - something cheap and durable.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nikon FE is an outstanding camera! I have one and it is one of my favorites!!! Great meter, light weight, good viewfinder, great selection of lenses. I have had mine for a couple of years and have never changed the batteries so...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well there you have it. The FM2n isn't exactly selling for chump change these days. In fact, they are selling for considerably more than a really nice N90s.
    Frank Schifano

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin