Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 841

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Looking for a Nikon 35mm camera that will live in my bag ...

I was looking at the N90s, which can be had for under $30 now (I remember paying a lot more that for one new a decade ago). I am open to suggestions though. I tried a rangefinder, but just didn't fall in love with the ergonomics, and the only cheap options have fixed lenses. So, looking again at an SLR.

The camera will stay in my bag, being used to take photos when I'm not carrying my main gear (Hasselblad system). I'm only planning on running B&W film through this.

Requirements:
    Cheap
    Small
    Good lens compatibility
    AA batteries, decent battery life

Any suggestions?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're good with MF lenses then the Nikon FE (the AP auto thing can happen with these) or the FM (no auto-exp) (or their -2 versions) are great. Not AA batteries though, but the S76 sorts that are available widely. I happen to like the F3 as my walking-abut camera when I want 35mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A built in meter is a biggie for me.

I could probably do with CR123 batteries if it would make the kit significantly lighter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    If you're good with MF lenses then the Nikon FE (the AP auto thing can happen with these) or the FM (no auto-exp) (or their -2 versions) are great. Not AA batteries though, but the S76 sorts that are available widely. I happen to like the F3 as my walking-abut camera when I want 35mm.
    Hmm ... the FE looks interesting. Manual focus, built in meter, old school styling, and dirt cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The N80 would be a great choice for you. it is very light but has many exposure options. The AF is good but not as good as the F100. They take the CR123 batteries but are pretty good on battery life.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format

My Car Camera

I keep a N90 in my car all the time. It usually has a 50mm F1.8 Series E lens on it with Ektar 100 loaded and a SB-20 flash. Great compact camera that outperforms my best digital. I can stop at any CVS/pharmacy and have scanned files on a CD in an hour. Best of all if something happens to it, I spend another $40 to replace it.

Ken Fretz

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest a nikon Fe or FM. They're far more durable then a newer plastic model.

Both can be had for $75 or less online.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F/N90(s) is a fine choice...no regrets there.

Smaller and lighter, with not quite as precise a meter, is the FM or FM2. Solid, built to last forever and small and light, too.

I have the FM2 for just this reason. It works, it'll last forever.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F90/N90 series cameras are not particularly small or light but they are cheap and they are capable. They're also pretty tough.

Play with one, and if you find the weight to be acceptable, use one.

The F801/N8008-series cameras are slightly lighter and a hair smaller... inferior autofocus, but really good in many ways. The F801s/N8008s has a spot meter, the non-s does not.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an N90 S that looks like it's been through The Great War. It still works, and works well with manual focus lenses. I say if you like the camera, use it. It's a great value these days.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin