Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,504   Posts: 1,543,460   Online: 946

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Have you considered an F100? It is newer technology and has the option of being compact or larger with the battery pack attached. I started using mine (very recently) without the battery pack and I absolutely love it! It is a surprisingly well-built camera and is a fast performer. Think about it as a D1H with a removable battery pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Have you considered an F100? It is newer technology and has the option of being compact or larger with the battery pack attached. I started using mine (very recently) without the battery pack and I absolutely love it! It is a surprisingly well-built camera and is a fast performer. Think about it as a D1H with a removable battery pack.
    I agree with this post.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    You will know what a reasonable price for a F5 is in the U.S. in good condition but if I were offered one in the U.K. for the equivalent of $299 from a commercial business and not a private sale where I could vouch for the condition I'd be wary.

In the U.K. a F5 being sold for only $299 suggests it has seen a lot of use and may not be in the best of condition. In fact I don't think I have ever seen one being sold this cheaply.

Just a thought

pentaxuser
    Naw, $299 is a normal price for a f5 in fair condition from a private party.

I sold two f5's recently for $375, but each were in mint condition.

$140 for an F4s without any issues is pretty low. I'd be asking something closer to $200.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    One major advantage of the F100 over the F5 is the ability to see which autofocus point you have selected. With the F5, it's like playing a game of battleship.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep the F4.
    Skip the F5.
    Get an F100.
    Trade everything, including the Volvo, for an F6.

Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you had neither of these cameras, you should get the F4 if you work with manual focus lenses most of the time, the F5 if you use autofocus most of the time. Both are great cameras but, technologically, the F5 is much more advanced - VR, much faster autofocus, all metering modes available with G lenses, color matrix, etc...I love my F4, but the main thing it has over the F5 is that it takes much longer to go through a set of batteries.

But since you already have a good F4, this particular F5, with its known issues, doesn't seem like a very good trade. Perhaps you should wait for a near-mint one to come along for a really good price? Or at least one that wasn't beaten up by a newspaper photographer.

Maybe you should just find an F6.
    Last edited by mysticeyes; 12-01-2010 at 09:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thinking in the long term, I'd say a superior electronic camera (F5, or the F100 which is an excellent suggestion) along with one or two mechanical, all-manual cameras (FM2, etc) would be wise to add to your working group.

The only real advantage of the F5 over an F100 is the faster motor drive, and frankly that only matters in sports shooting (the F5's servo is fantastic, I remember being amazed by it 14 years ago).
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Still own the F4. The $299 F5 is actually cosmetically worse than my F4, so it doesn't make sense, especially with it seeming to have the same issues that an F4 normally has, AF-wise. I'd be essentially getting N90 performance AF-wise with high frame rate, a mirror lockup, and ability to rewind manually.

The $140 value is wholesale, and is what they'd offer as trade-in, which is better than what KEH offered on their online quote wizard for an EX grade body. My F4 is about high-BGN grade. Has some wear, but nothing major. The bodies I saw @ Glazer's Camera are similar to my F4 cosmetically. They are a bit older than the one I was thinking about getting from Kenmore Camera, but there's no stickiness and the rubber is all intact. Some scratches on the prism and the top covers, but still nice looking. They also seem to AF a lot faster, even though the batteries I tried with them were Duracells, instead of the Energizers. The only issue is that one's priced at $399, and the other's priced @ $429. One of the guys there is going to see if he can get the price of the $399 body down to $325-$340. I might be able to do that, but would have to add some more gear in with the deal. Might have to remove the battery pack from the F-36 drive and just use the F as a manual camera again, with the drive unpowered... Dunno. Will find out Friday.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a very personal choice, but I own both cameras and I use the F5 the most out of all my 35mm cameras (and I have a bunch). I like the feel of the F4 and I do use it a fair amount, particularly with manual lenses, but its autofocus performance is significantly inferior to that of the F5.

I bought my F5 in KEH EX condition for about $400 three or four years ago. It's come down a little since then, I think.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    nikon F4 body is the best platform for manual focus nikon lens, even stick lens babies and holga lenses on them

you get metering, range finder focusing aids, run on aa batteries and are cheap

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin