Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,225   Online: 909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the usual capacitor problem.
    Mamiya 645 Super | Nikon F4/F100 | Minolta Maxxum 9/Dynax 7/X-700/X-500/XD7/SRT-101 | Pentax Spotmatic | Canonet QL 19 (GII) | and a whole bunch of glass

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agreed, 99% its the capacitor problem. This is exactly the symptom I had on my x300. Turn it on, LEDs light up. As soon as you touch the shutter, everything dies. Turn on/off same again.

The capacitors area available here http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Camera-...00-C9-C10.html Note its for a pack of 10! It says for X700, but its exactly the same in the X300/370 and I guess the X570 as well.

On the x300 the capacitor is easily accessed under the baseplate. Not too difficult to unsolder/resolder except the PCB is very thin and flexible so you have to watch you don't put too much heat in. If you have any old electronics solder with a high lead content all the better - it melts at a lower temperature.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    Agreed, 99% its the capacitor problem. This is exactly the symptom I had on my x300. Turn it on, LEDs light up. As soon as you touch the shutter, everything dies. Turn on/off same again.

The capacitors area available here http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Camera-...00-C9-C10.html Note its for a pack of 10! It says for X700, but its exactly the same in the X300/370 and I guess the X570 as well.

On the x300 the capacitor is easily accessed under the baseplate. Not too difficult to unsolder/resolder except the PCB is very thin and flexible so you have to watch you don't put too much heat in. If you have any old electronics solder with a high lead content all the better - it melts at a lower temperature.
    That's only one of two possibly faulty caps. Tell him where and how to get at the other one. There are several online surgical guides for this procedure. Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm

not sure i want to rip into it myself...

I have some experience with soldering but I'm pretty messy so I think I'll leave this for a professional. Plus the camera probably could use a thorough overhaul. Garry did get back to me and quoted me $48 for the repair, overhaul and return shipping. Not bad at all and with less than a week turnaround time. Pretty sure that's how I'll attack this.
    If this weren't a camera that I really really like I might be more comfortable risking destroying it but I just don't trust my soldering skills enough for a camera I actually like.
    Thanks again for all the responses!

Jono

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good to me. Hope it goes well for ya.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, just looked at the repair manual and that fault looks like it might be related to the 'Touch' circuitry. There is a metering switch that is normally open and, when closed sends juice to the power source circuit which in turns goes through the meter/release signal thingy and, well, let's just say you made the right choice. Honestly, didn't say anything about a capacitor. Most times a capacitor will have a fault from the getgo, not after an action is taken (ie. the shutter release button depressed). Especially given that ON-OFF-ON allows the metering to function and the LED are again illuminated.

I, in my stupidity, don't think even I would try to fiddle with this on a boat anchor, let alone a camera with a chance of salvaging.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tell him where and how to get at the other one
    In all honesty, I don't know. The x300/370 only has one cap. I know the x700 has two, but no idea if the x570 has one or two . I have heard tho that it is usually the base cap in the x700 that goes first, so prob best to try that anyway. I do know it took me about 10 minutes to fix my x300 and its still going strong 1 year on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin