Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 638

Shooter
    35mm

F2 Photomic Metering Problem

I have an F2 and DP-11 prism. I have read the manual, tried different lenses, and tried different buttons and no matter what, I cannot get the camera to meter correctly without stopping the lens down. Unless I use the depth of field preview, it only gives me a meter reading at the lens's maximum aperture. New batteries as well. Please help

Thanks
    Zak

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is the metal tab visible between the black u-shaped part of the nameplate and the lens mount? It sounds like it's been folded upward. Try sliding the switch above the "A" to the right. That should allow the tab to drop downward. Do this with the lens removed, otherwise you'll have to dismount and reattach the lens to get the meter to couple.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, I took off the prism made sure the tab was locked up, put the prism on, took off the lens, put on the lens, then released the tab under "A" and still the same thing happened. I meter for correct exposure, then only changing the shutter speed has any effect on the meter. Hmm could it be a defective meter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could be, are you setting the lens at f5.6 before mounting it then setting the minimum and maximum aperture of the lens to correctly couple it to the meter ? if you are I think the metering prism needs some professional help.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Zak

You should make certain the meter is fully seated on the body. Make certain the tab on the meter is down before you mount a lens. The DP11 'reads' the lens aperture by having that tab be pushed by the lens. If you release the tab after the lens is mounted, it just may ride on top of the lens, and not move when you change f-stops.

The older finders required that you set the lens to 5.6 before mounting the lens. This would enable the prong on the meter to engage the 'rabbit ears' on the lens.

Just check to see when the lens is mounted, if the silver tab (with a red dot) has engaged correctly.

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tried all things mentioned in this thread, no luck. I'm just going to buy a new meter, no problem, I got the camera for free. I want to buy a meter around $100 or $200 from KEH used in EX or higher condition, what would you recommend? I don't want to have to hold down any buttons while metering my possible exposure but I don't need anything too fancy. I'm thinking maybe the DP-1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ztriola View Post
    Okay, I took off the prism made sure the tab was locked up, put the prism on, took off the lens, put on the lens, then released the tab under "A" and still the same thing happened. I meter for correct exposure, then only changing the shutter speed has any effect on the meter. Hmm could it be a defective meter?
    Even though Paul Van*** has since outlined the correct procedure, I'd like to remind you that what you've described above is the wrong procedure.

If a lens is AI or later, your meter tab should be down when you mount it.

Raising the meter tab is only for pre-AI lenses.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AI-yi-yi.

Are your lenses AI or AI modified? If they are not, they must be stopped down to meter.

If your lenses are AI without the rabbit ears and you get a DP-1, they will have have to be stopped down to meter.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-03-2010 at 08:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are still having problems with the F2 then have a look at Sover Wong's site.

http://soverf2repair.webs.com/

He did a great job on my F2 SB and has items for sale as well (good price)

David.

http://davidalockwood.wordpress.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin