Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,197   Online: 967

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does such an adapter exist?

Hi all--
    Does anyone know if an adapter was ever made that would allow a Leica screw mount lens to be used on an Exakta body/mount?

Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know but I would think it's impossible due to focal flange distance. Rangefinders are much shorter compared to SLR's and thus, putting RF lenses on SLR's is generally not an option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmmm....maybe I just answered my own question. (from http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/exakta/lenses.html)

Some lenses made for other cameras, with different mount systems, can be still used with Exaktas or Exas with help of lens adapters.

These, theoretically, can be of two types: mounted into the camera's bayonet (i.e., going between that bayonet and the lens), or replacing the entire lens flange, which is held in place with four easily accessible screws.

As a matter of fact, the manufacturer used the second approach in Exa 1B, which was made with the flange designed to accept the M42 (Practica/Pentax) screw-mount lenses.

Because most lenses (Leica, rangefinder Contax) require a shorter lens-to-film distance than Exakta's, and/or a wider mount throat (Pentax K, Minolta MD, Nikon SLRs), the only adapter I have seen is the replacement type for the M42, screw mount. These are possible because the M42 lens spacing is 45.46 mm, more than Exakta's 44.70 mm.

There were also adapters allowing Exaktas to use the 39 mm, Leica thread lenses. Because Leica has a smaller film-to-flange distance, a lens mounted with such an adapter will not focus to infinity, still being useful for close-up work.

A separate group of lenses which work with the Exakta are those using an interchangeable mount; most often the T-mount or Adaptall type.

Some custom-made adapters for other lenses can also be found; usually they are only suitable in the close distance range.

In the opposite direction, there were numerous adapters allowing for use of Exakta lenses on other cameras.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I was nearly right

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems you are on the right path! I was just thinking about my exaktas (which I love to shoot with) and wanting to get something in the 75mm-100mm range but the actual Exakta lenses tend to go for too much (at least the chrome finish ones...) and I have a bunch of lenses in Leica screw mount. Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I don't know but I would think it's impossible due to focal flange distance. Rangefinders are much shorter compared to SLR's and thus, putting RF lenses on SLR's is generally not an option.
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Novoflex made one. EXLEI, if I remember correctly. I've had a LEIEX (female Exakta-to-male LTM) since forever.

As has already been pointed out, an LTM lens on an EXLEI on an Exakta mount body won't focus anywhere near infinity. But if you want to make the connection, well, Novoflex made the connector.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've got an M42 lens ->Exacta body adapter, and even more esoteric, an Exakta lens -> Olympus Pen F body adapter so it looks like there were all sorts of adapters available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Seems you are on the right path! I was just thinking about my exaktas (which I love to shoot with) and wanting to get something in the 75mm-100mm range but the actual Exakta lenses tend to go for too much (at least the chrome finish ones...) and I have a bunch of lenses in Leica screw mount. Oh well!
    Try to find a Schacht 90mm...

You won't have any regrets!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin