Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 941

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

what is a good flash for nikon F3, and F100

I recently got a sekonic flash meter, and now want to go shoot some pics where the flash would be needed, what would be a good one that I can use with either camera? I am thinking to use it with a cord, rather than mounted on the camera
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Frankly, I'd consider making your F100 your designated flash camera. Why? The F3 has a slow max synch speed(1/80), requires either an F3-only SB-16a flash(plus dedicated flash cord) or an AS-17 adapter for TTL with speedlights that will work with an F100 like the SB24/25/28. The F100's abilities with flash metering and fill are vastly superior to the early '80s technology of the F3--its many virtues(and I own 2)notwithstanding. You can, of course, work with these newer speedlights on the F3 as a manual flash with the cheaper AS-4 adapter. Complicated, no?

Shooter
    35mm
    Get an old handle mount unit like Sunpak 544, 611, 622 or Metz 45 or 60 series. Use the sync cord and the pc sync socket on the camera. There won't be any dedication functions no TTL but that's what you want as you have a new flash meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Get an old handle mount unit like Sunpak 544, 611, 622 or Metz 45 or 60 series. Use the sync cord and the pc sync socket on the camera. There won't be any dedication functions no TTL but that's what you want as you have a new flash meter.
    great, thank you for that, I was thinking about sunpak, but will check out Metz as well
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    An excellent suggestion. They're powerful and cheap. And rugged. You could get TTL with the F3. But the flash meter is better anyway, IMO.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sunpak 383 is nice and cheap, and compact. It has variable power and can take several accessories, including a diffuser/filter holder. You'll need a separate handle mount for it if you want to move the light off center (which you probably do). If your situation allows you to place the light on a stand or have an assistant hold it, even better. For a potato masher, I'd suggest the 555 as the best bang for the buck.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at the Nikon SB800 and Nikon SB900.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you really want to dive into the world of flash photography, check out the group over at strobist.blogspot.com I've been following them for years and while I haven't done much with flashes yet myself, you can seriously learn a lot there, including the relative merits of all sorts of lighting equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two Metz 45 CT-3s. This particular model (not true for other 45CT series) have low voltage trigger so these are completely safe for all modern cameras. Automatic exposure mode works reasonably well but effectiveness is very dependent on the subject. In manual mode, power adjustment is rather limited. You can go full blast, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/16 (in W 'Winder' mode). These are very durable EXCEPT for the flimsy PC sync cord. These are pretty cheap and abundant.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I have two Metz 45 CT-3s. This particular model (not true for other 45CT series) have low voltage trigger so these are completely safe for all modern cameras. Automatic exposure mode works reasonably well but effectiveness is very dependent on the subject. In manual mode, power adjustment is rather limited. You can go full blast, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/16 (in W 'Winder' mode). These are very durable EXCEPT for the flimsy PC sync cord. These are pretty cheap and abundant.
    Just be aware that many of these old flashes touted above can have whopping trigger voltages that could stir-fry your F100s electronics. Strobist is a great site but most of their set-ups are reliant on radio slaves--a good way to get around the voltage issue with old flash gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin