Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,920   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: focal distance

Shooter
    35mm
    John - beautiful shots.

I have found and downloaded fCalc - I'll have to give it a run through tomorrow.

I've considered going to the zoo. Waiting for a free day and good weather - so I can take some shots outdoors.

I'm not sure Minolta zoom lenses work with an extender - I've checked but haven't been able to confirm either way. I've considered more than a few times getting a 300 prime and an extender.

There are a few blinds available throughout the refuge I shoot in - you have to register to use them and I haven't considered checking into it yet.

Jorge - thank you.

Thank you everyone - wonderful and helpful advice as always.

Shooter
    35mm
    David,

Thank you so much for all the input. I'm ok with manual focus - I use manual focus for all my shots. My flight shots are my best but then a 300mm zoom is light compared to a prime. And flight formations at least create an interesting image even if you can't necessarily see that you're looking at pelicans.

I've bookmarked your site so I can give it a decent look through after I've had some sleep.

Thank you again for all the input.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've not done much wildlife stuff (aside from the peahen shot I did for the print exchange, but that thing was so tame it was all I could do to keep it out of my sandwiches).

However I was thinking about it recently, and found M42 lenses in rediculous focal lengths cost next to nothing. A trip to a local 2nd hand dealer returned a decent 400mm prime lens for 25 pounds. Adding a teleconverter ups that to 800mm for an all in cost of <30 pounds (shop around and you'll get a camera thrown in for free if you don't already have an M42 compatable!).

This stuff is so cheap, it's great fun at pocket money prices.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

Wow! I've never considered shooting birds, but your vivid description has made me want to give it a shot!

Thanks, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is right, 127.

I almost mentioned that even if you do not have a Pentax M42 mount camera, you can get a used one for hardly anything.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm still too wet behind the ears to know what a M42 is. Sounds like some kind of automatic weapon. *laughs*

David - your bird photos are wonderful. I took a look at the landscapes as well - wonderful work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, folks.

Give it a go, Art! If everyone photographed birds with film, I think we could keep Kodachrome and Ilfochrome in production for a long time!

I think most bird photographers start out as birders and pick up photography as a way of recording their sightings, but I went the other way, and started photographing birds a few years ago, because I was curious about what all those eccentric people in Manhattan were looking at with their binoculars. It's amazing how many people live here (I was one of them!) without realizing that they are in the middle of this incredible natural phenomenon--the Eastern Flyway--that's been going on for thousands of years in spite of all human development, and they might not even know it's happening.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M 42 refers to the old Praktica and Pentax 42mm thread mount. There are dozens of cameras that use the M42 size lenses. Lenses are plentiful and dirt cheap. You can buy a Pentax Spotmatic camera for $40 on the internet. The camera was $250 thirty years ago. Fine cameras and many are in excellent operating condition, but don't count on the meter to be accurate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget to look area the area you live for a nearby wildlife refuge. Many times they will have blinds set up for bird watchers, and you can use it too! Also, to get an idea of what the bird would look like on a print/slide consider using a pair of field glasses to see what magnification you might need. If you like the way something looks with 8x field glasses, then you will need something around a 400mm lens, 10x - 500mm. Oh, and don't forget that you will want the fastest lens you can afford - unless your eyes are better than mine..I can't seem to see much of anything anymore.

Check out Elliot Porters bird photos, he did some of them using 4x5 with flash, triggers and blinds. Some of them are amazing.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Don't forget to look area the area you live for a nearby wildlife refuge.
    I'm lucky enough to live on the border of a huge national refuge. The two units closest to me are 2,600 acres and 1,500 acres. There's 14,000 acres in all spanning 34 miles. Once I have a lens worthy of shooting birds with I'll look into registering to use one of the blinds. I've seen one that I would like to use but it's not listed, nor do I see a way to get to it since it seems to be part way out into the marsh.

Thanks for the tip on Elliot Porter - amazing work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin