Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,682   Online: 778

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: focal distance

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check with the park rangers. It might be that the water level is lower for part of the year for access to the blind, or you might just need high boots or a pair of waders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anyte
    I'm lucky enough to live on the border of a huge national refuge. The two units closest to me are 2,600 acres and 1,500 acres. There's 14,000 acres in all spanning 34 miles. Once I have a lens worthy of shooting birds with I'll look into registering to use one of the blinds. I've seen one that I would like to use but it's not listed, nor do I see a way to get to it since it seems to be part way out into the marsh.

Thanks for the tip on Elliot Porter - amazing work.
    Yeah! I think the guy has been forgotten for his work. Glad to hear you have good access to the refuges. Another tip, and David would be a much better source for this type of information, is set up a few feeders - close to the house if possible, and use the house as a blind. You will be surprised with who comes to feeders. This will also give you a chance to see how the lens you have perform at each focal length and what you might need in the future. After all a 300mm f2.8 prime lens can become a 600mm f5.6 with a 2x on it, which is a nice combo..and much less than a prime 600mm.

Also, don't forget that most slide films are much more saturated, IMO, than any print film. Everyone has there favorite film - just find yours.

Good luck.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't do feeders myself (living in an apartment building with no balcony), but there are some good books on the subject.

Main issues with feeders are choosing a feeder design and feed that will attract the birds you want, making a commitment to keep them stocked over a period of years, keeping them out of reach of predators like cats, and keeping them clean, because feeders can be a source of disease due to problems with cleanliness, and because they bring certain birds into closer proximity with each other than they might be in nature.

Shooter
    35mm
    I live in an apartment and we're not allowed to have feeders near the building. There's a creek and lots of trees across the road that are frequented by a number of different birds though. I've seen great blue herons in the creek, and in the trees I've seen green herons and woodpeckers. I see goldfinch, housefinch, something that maybe an oriole, cardinals, red wing blackbirds, blue birds - and many more. I see raptors on occassion. And one neighbor has a humming bird feeder up so humming birds are a typical sight. If a long lens and converter combination will give me the focal distance needed I can get a lot of shots from my balcony.

The blinds would be great to get shots of egrets, pelicans, pheasant and a number of other birds that don't stray outside the refuge. I will check into using the blinds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin