Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 754

Shooter
    35mm

"Image" 28-80mm - any more info?

A while back I was given a K-mount "Image"-brand 28-80mm f/3.5 manual focus zoom lens in really good condition. It has a "close-focus" quasi-macro pull-out function as well. It has an all-metal barrel, and takes a 62mm filter.

I know the Image brand was the house brand of Black's Photography here in Canada and possibly elsewhere, and it says "made in Japan" on the barrel. Given who I got it from I suspect it was purchased/made in the mid-80's to the early 90's (he doesn't remember).

I realize the proof is in the pudding, and I haven't actually shot anything with it yet, but I'm curious as to who actually made this and therefore what other zoom lenses it might be comparable to. I can't really find anything via searching about it.

Anybody have an idea how I can narrow down it's provenance? I know given it's "made in Japan" it's likely Cosina, Tamron or Tokina, but I hate not knowing more about it

Thanks!
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Post a photo of the lens!
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Could be Sigma, Cosina, Kiron or someone else. If Black's is still in business, you could ask them.

And a photo of the lens probably would be a good idea, because it could be used to compare it with other lenses from that era. Also, sometimes there are clues to its construction.

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, here's what it looks like. Excuse the hand and compression artifacts. I haven't cleaned the lens up yet, so yes, there is some dust and apparently some sticker residue

To be more precise, I should have said it's an f/3.5-4.5 lens as per the pics.

I'm fairly sure Black's has changed hands a few times since the 80's - while they still have some sort of 35mm c-41 processing and do sell rebranded Superia, in terms of cameras all of their stores are digital camera-only (and many locally are small shoebox stores with minimal stock at that). It's highly doubtful there is much if any institutional memory exists from that period.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0259.JPG   DSCF0261.JPG   DSCF0276.JPG  
    Last edited by mabman; 12-09-2010 at 09:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    probably best to ask on PentaxForums

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been looking online for an hour now. Thinking this lens might be a re-badge lens. Its a 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 MF - Macro, I found out that its not a Vivitar, Sigma, Kiron, Ricoh, Tamaron, Tokina. (either focal length, f stop, or macro does not have an exact match, or it looks way different)

Only Soligor made a 28-80mm f3.5-4.5 Macro(What i can find on top of my head), but it does not look the same, but it does take a 62mm filter. Take a look at this page on ebay.

I got this far, see if you can figure out the rest.
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think it may be a Sunagor lens, it looks very similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...7#ht_500wt_922

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    probably best to ask on PentaxForums
    Done and done. It doesn't match anything in their lens database either.

Thanks for the all the effort

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, the PentaxForums admin got it in one - it appears to be a rebranded version of a CPC Phase 2 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5. I found a pic here. It looks right, and has the right aperture and filter size. The macro function may have been added for the rebranded version.

I was also unaware of CPC as a brand. Apparently Pentax manufactured and sold lenses under this name, although they may have been different lens designs and not necessarily the same image quality vs. the equivalent Pentax-branded lens.

Learn something new every day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "according to Modern Photography from August 1984, Cosmicar (a Pentax subsidiary in Taiwan and Japan) has manufactured a number of "CPC Phase 2" lenses where CPC stands for Combined Products Corporation."
    - Derek

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin