Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,571   Online: 842

Shooter
    35mm

Minolta Alpha 9 (aka Maxxum / Dynax 9)

I'm sooooooo tempted, as I could get one at a nice price at a local shop. I have a few things to consider, which won't affect the final decision anyway. The first is the SSM compatibility, but I'll take my SSM lens and try it out. I've already found in the manual that my 5400 hss flash is compatible. Also checking the VC-9 (vertical grip), it can take 4 AA batteries, but don't know if it can take rechargable Ni-MH batteries (I've spoilt a flash with rechargables).
    Film and digital; best of both worlds. JapanesePhotos.Asia.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have only had a very brief time with the 9 - a while back (borrowed from a friend). Must say I was blown away - fantastic handling and wonderful VF. From memory, the 9 had a circuit board (or some kind of firmware) update later in it's production cycle that allowed full functionality with SSM lenses. It was around the time the 7 came out. You need to google a bit for more information and find the serial numbers affected. Minolta offered it as an upgrade until they sold out (and I think Sony continued it for a while). I ended up with the 7 which I loved but nothing compared to that 9. I always wanted one of those more than an F5 or EOS 1v.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    From Wikipedia "The camera just preceded the release of the SSM (SuperSonic Motor) lenses and D distance encoded lens/flash system, and as a result an upgrade was available in order to support the SSM lenses and D function. This upgrade was in the form of a complete systems board, unlike digital cameras which are usually upgradeable by software."

Shooter
    35mm
    I know. I haven't picked one up. I've... fondled the 7 and 800si and seen a million pictures of the 9; I know it'll be be a true pleasure. Just wondering if it's worth watching out for a VC-9 if I intend to use rechargable AA's

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the enloops that apple sells in my VC-7, works like a charm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sage View Post
    I use the enloops that apple sells in my VC-7, works like a charm.
    Thanks. If I see one I'll double check.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin