Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,958   Posts: 1,523,009   Online: 1216

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

spinning (swirly) bokeh

Hi,

I would like to have lens with spinning (swirly) bokeh. I see many lenses for large format cameras have this, but I am still not ready for bigger than meduim format .

So far yashica 50mm ML f2 is one choice:
    http://www.retrocamera.net/review-of...-ml-50mm2.html

, but maybe someone has some other ideas ? Nikon, Kiev and Leica M mount would be best - I have those cameras already.

thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For medium format, the Yashica-C TLR does it wide open sorta like the lens you link to. Soon as you stop down it goes away, and the leaves need to be about the same distance and size from the subject like your linked images of the leaves. So it does it, but not with the ease that some of the LF choices provide. It happens in LF because the film size often exceeds the lens designer's idea of how the lens would be normally used to provide normal results; think projection lenses being used for 4x5.

Here's something that shows it a little, but would show it better if the background were leaves instead of bare branches. This is with the yashica-c.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kiev's Arsat 80 2.8 produces that kind of bokeh too

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You should be able to find an ML 50/2 mounted on a Yashica FX-3 or FX-D for less than $50. I like the lens very much, I think it is quite underrated, and it hasn't been embraced by the DSLR crowd like the ML 50/1.7 and the 50/1.4, which is keeping it realistically priced. And I love that swirly bokeh:

Bee in thistle, Bike Trail, Fort Dodge by Greyscale3, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    research the
    Rokkor 58mm f/1:1.2

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    you say mf format (?)

best choise in my opinion is to get a Rollei SL66 - find a small petzval projection lens and fit it on...

Image done whith that combo.

(I like the images shown above... just showa you, you don't have to go big or expensive to get a nice result!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rollei---petzval-deer.jpg   swirl01.jpg   rollei-me3.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For swirly bokeh I suggest the Helios 40-2 85/1.5 and the leica summitar 5cm f2. Supposedly, the Helios 44 58/2 swirls too and they are cheap. I don't know which versions though. Go to flickr and do a search for those lenses and you'll find some nice shots showing the swirlies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 35mm, and among wide angles, Mir-1 37mm f2.8 will also give you a swirly bokeh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica summarit 50mm 1.5. The Helios 85mm is a beast, interesting, but a real workout to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helios 58mm M6 lens for Russian Zenit camera (M42 screw mount and works a treat for swirlies)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin