Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,809   Online: 1156

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best I've seen so far is the E screen on the Nikon F3HP. Yes, I wear glasses and I can see the whole frame. The E screen works very well with lenses in he 24 mm to 135 mm range, and only a bit less so with longer lenses.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    When a camera has interchangeble screens I usually use a grid type. This means E screens with Nikons and D screens with Canons. When I couldn't change the screens myself I had Nikon E screens out into two Konicas. I have E screens now in two N2020s, an N8008S and an FE. I am waiting to try an E screen from the N8008S in an F90X I just got. Both of these cameras have decent eye relief and finder brightness. For my Canon F-1 bodies I have two Speed Finders. These give great eye relief but low magnification. The L D screen makes my F-1 or F-1n bodies almost as bright as my F-1Ns. I use a -2 diopter for all of these cameras instead of wearing glasses. For extreme close-up work I prefer a plain matte screen. The screen and finder brightness with the Minolta X-700 with either a grid or plain mate screen is very good. With a fast 50mm lens almost any screen will do but in most other corcumstances a grid type screen is better for me. This is especially true with zoom lenses and slow telephotos. The only time it is not so good is when I'm using a slow and wide lens. This summer I had to switch a 21/3.8 lens from a Canon F-1 which had an L D screen to an FTbN with a microprism screen. I find the out of focus areas on a Nikkormat screen to be a little odd.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by parkpy View Post
    I really dislike the viewfinder in my FM2n, only because I've experience better (Olympus OM2n...great even with glasses). The F3HP IS the best I've seen of the manual focus Nikons. I'd rather have my FM2n though
    I have a Beatie Intesscreen on my FM2n, don't think I would want a screen any brighter, oh and b4 I get a ton of screams, I know this is an ols post but a lot of us go back and look at old posts

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I for one am glad you brought this thread back. I am finding rather recently as my eyesight IS getting worse and I have gotten a pair of glassed which are only needed for reading closeup stuff, I am wondering if they will make a difference on using my cameras.

For now, I don't use my glasses when using the cameras, but I imagine that day is close by. There is enough adjustments on the F4 and F5 that I use the most and honestly, I don't hardly use the MF cameras much anymore, which I know is a real shame.

What do most of you glass toting photographers do then when using your camera.......glassed or no glasses? Special diopter? I started having trouble focusing about 3 years ago with dark viewing and did a search then for new or available screens for all my Nikons but never went any further.

Appreciate any comments on what you are using.

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use an F3HP with a Beattie intense screen, and it is brighter than my FM3a with it's K-type screen. The standard F3 screens are not especially bright, but are perfectly fine for most use, but it takes time to find the one you like.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post
    I for one am glad you brought this thread back. I am finding rather recently as my eyesight IS getting worse and I have gotten a pair of glassed which are only needed for reading closeup stuff, I am wondering if they will make a difference on using my cameras.

For now, I don't use my glasses when using the cameras, but I imagine that day is close by. There is enough adjustments on the F4 and F5 that I use the most and honestly, I don't hardly use the MF cameras much anymore, which I know is a real shame.

What do most of you glass toting photographers do then when using your camera.......glassed or no glasses? Special diopter? I started having trouble focusing about 3 years ago with dark viewing and did a search then for new or available screens for all my Nikons but never went any further.

Bob E.
    if you are not too astigmatic a dioptre is all you need.

otherwise contacts but you may then have trouble in poor light with e.g. exposure counter which ever of these you opt for

a rfdr or OM4/3 is another option

Shooter
    35mm
    I got my 1st AF camera due to failing eyesight but they were slow so on my F4 I use the little ball focus assist and manual lenses. My F60, though a light weigt compared to my other cameras focuses very fast and I use AF lenses on it. For my old F3 I use Diopters

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBob View Post

Bob E.
    Initially I use the diopter lens or the built in diopter adjustment but then my eyes getting worse so they are not sufficient any more. Reading glasses are not good for cameras. I have to have a special pair of glasses that designed for me to see well at the distance of 1 meter. Then the camera can be standard without any correction.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by htimsdj View Post
    I'm not sure if you would care for auto-focus, but I really enjoy using my Nikon F6s. I wear glasses, and can see the entire viewfinder and the display while wearing my glasses. I'm nearsighted, so I also got the -3 diopter. Further, I have installed the focus screen with the microprisms in the center (no split image, only microprisms).
    My F6 screen is extremely easy to focus with regardless of the lens I put on it. I only use manual focus lenses on it. It's great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin