Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,947   Online: 794

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I really liked my Elan 7n when I had it. No longer shoot 35mm or I probably would have kept it; it's a really fantastic camera in every respect.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a 1n so I could have a high end body to use with all my L glass that I use with my 5D.... but in the end I use the canonet ql17 gIII the most

If i were to buy another film body it would be the eos 3 hands down.. just for ettl capability

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Another vote for the 1V - I am astonished at it's all-roundness and have not owned a camera with as useful AF and AE...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I used an EOS-1 for years, never had a problem.
    I borrowed it recently from my friend who I sold it to, to shoot a roll of Kodachrome, was almost as nice as using my 1dsmk3.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm presuming that you have a d******l canon camera and a load of lenses and now want to try film. When the shutter is open there is only air between the lens and the film - the camera doesn't make better pictures!

If you want to try out film with EF lenses, why not pick up an EOS300V/Rebel Ti. less than $50, and certainly has most features you need. If you like film, *then* think about something more towards the professional end

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Horses for courses

The answer to your question depends on several factors, including what and where you intend to photograph. Hiking and travel? Street photography? Sensitive locations (e.g. theaters, churches, sketchy neighborhoods)? Still life? Macro? Sports? Inclement weather? What is suitable for one task may be less suitable for another. In other words, what do you value more: portability, durability, frame advance rates, weatherproofing, mirror lock up, discreet/quiet operation?

What about ergonomics? Do you have small or large hands? Do you prefer dials or buttons? Do you wear glasses?

I used an Elan 7E for years. It was a great camera, and the eye controlled focusing worked very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    I'm presuming that you have a d******l canon camera and a load of lenses and now want to try film. When the shutter is open there is only air between the lens and the film - the camera doesn't make better pictures!
    Well, you are aware that EOS cameras do something before the mirror goes up, right? And various EOS cameras do a better or worse job at metering or autofocusing so if you care about those things then you care about which body you get. After the mirror goes down they also advance the film faster or slower which may or may not be a consideration for you. With AE/AF bodies they are not simply light tight boxes.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't care about money just get a 1V. If you think it is too expensive, get a 3, which is 90% of the 1V for 1/3 of the price. If you think that's expensive get a 30V/33V for £50-70.

As for service, the 1V/3/1N are still easily serviced. The lower models can probably still be serviced and in any case, they are so cheap you could just get another one.

All EOS cameras will take your EF lenses (but not EF-S ones) and all EX flashguns will work with them too.
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need to invest "hundreds of dollars". I bought a LNIB Canon EOS 630 from KEH for $94.00. Works like a champ. It does not have 52 zillion autofocus points, just one in the middle. But that's all I need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The EOS 1V will have the same longevity as all the EOS pro-line bodies before it, the 1N, 1NRS et al. And they are much easier to service than the 1V which commands a rather ghastly pull-apart for just a basic investigation (not that it should need one!). Do you really need a camera that can munch 36 exposures in 3 seconds when all you are lining up is the old oak in the park up the road? Best of all, the old bodies, on the proviso they've been reasonably well looked after over such a long period of time, are cheap, reliable and will take any EF lens (but TS-E lenses are best used with a power drive booster due to limited clearance for shifting down). Not all flashguns will work on each particular body but it's not too difficult now to match an old EOS body with its own dedicated flashgun e.g. 540EZ for all the 1N variants. Things like custom functions have lead many a befuddled lensman/girl on the path to sheer madness: ensure that you have access to a published resource (also online) for custom functions, and set only those that are definitely useful e.g. with tele lenses mirror lock-up and 2-sec self timer.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 12-21-2010 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin