Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,484   Online: 993

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good and old

If you didn't say you needed a body for your EF lenses, I would recommend a F-1(n). Built like a tank. But will only take FD lenses though. I've had mine for over 20 years and it's still going strong. It has a titanium shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the A2E. The eye control focus is fabulous. I wish my Canon D-SLRs had it.

Shooter
    35mm
    EOS 1v, hands down the best from Canon ever!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    I love the A2E. The eye control focus is fabulous. I wish my Canon D-SLRs had it.

Historically, despite causing a stir at Photokina where it was first exhibited in 1992, the fundamentally flawed ECF in the A2E was considered very much a novelty. To their credit, Canon clawed back ECF credibility with the much improved retro-look EOS 50e in 1995 and again upped the ante in 1997 with the beefy mid-range EOS 3 — literally a compendium of stepped refinements and improvements under one cover. All well and good but ECF hasn't found entrenched, long-term favour among professionals, and it has been passed over in digital cameras in favour of tacked-on gimmicky functions and ever-more layers of complex technology. Having said that, if ECF EOS bodies appeal to a photographer, the EOS 50e or EOS 3 is a much better investment than the comparatively blighted A2E. Otherwise, pro-level bodies remain a wise investment in timeless quality and reliability.

• For more information on Canon EOS bodies go to the mir.com.my dedicated Canon EOS site
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 12-23-2010 at 01:08 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: inclusion of EOS reference at mir.com.my
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you're tied to EF lenses and want autofocus or a modern metering system, then one of the EOS-1 series cameras, but despite the many attractive features of these cameras, I still prefer using my New F-1. I don't use autofocus and pretty much always spot meter and shoot manually, so none of the automatic features are of interest to me, and the New F-1 just feels mechanically more solid to me and is better designed for accurate manual focus, particularly with regard to the focusing screen and the pitch of the focusing helicals on the FD lenses.

That said, I'm having fun with my new (to me) pellicle mirror EOS 1N-RS, with it's extremely low shutter lag. On the one hand this makes the camera feel very responsive, and the film seems to zip through the camera effortlessly, but on the other hand the shutter button feels a little plasticky, and it's harder to sense the halfway point than on the New F-1.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, the shutter on the 1N-RS may feel "a little plasticky", but it's guaranteed that beast (and shutter button) will be around even as long as the hallowed F-1 — if not longer. And, I guess you're learning to be careful not to put the drive in H and press the shutter button hard : very easy — too easy (and a great conversation starter if you dare bring the camera and sit it beside the Christmas turkey — to munch a roll in a couple of seconds or so — no time for a proverbial blink of the eye!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would avoid the Eos 3. I have had focussing issues with it. Get a 1n or 1v. The 1n can be had for chump change these days. I have one that is absolutely hammered and it still works perfectly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got a brand new EOS 1V not too long ago, I don't regret it, it seems like it's going to be in my arsenal for a long while now. Out of all canon's cameras, this one tops the cake.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    And, I guess you're learning to be careful not to put the drive in H and press the shutter button hard : very easy — too easy (and a great conversation starter if you dare bring the camera and sit it beside the Christmas turkey — to munch a roll in a couple of seconds or so — no time for a proverbial blink of the eye!
    Haven't done that yet, though it seems like a hazard. I think the button just needs a tiny amount of silicone lubricant to feel a little smoother, but I'll wait until I've finished off that last roll of K64 I have in the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In CH 10 fps mode it is very easy to squeeze off two shots on the 1N RS without intending to. If you just want single shots I find the single shot mode works best, otherwise I get doubles. It's just that fast.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin