Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,217   Online: 912

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Elan 7 series would be better (I have two of these as well), with the battery grip.
    I can agree, Elan 7 or in Europe the EOS 30 eye focus. Great camera! I still have one EOS 30 and BP-300 battery pack around. The battery pack also takes all kind of different batteries. Very easy too. And indeed: A very silent SLR.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, for quiet my EOS A2E is much quieter than my EOS 3. In particular, the rewind on the A2E is almost silent. EOS 3, not so much...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again! That's really good to know about the EOS 3's noise level. I'll look at the 7's. I've used ElanIIes in the past but them seem a bit loudish too.

How is the evaluative meter in the 7's? Better than the Elan II's or about the same?

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Metering seems ok to me, not many focus points though. I sold a 7E a few years back and regretted it. Bought a 7NE recently. Really recommend the bp300 grip as it makes holding and verticals great.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In my opinion , sell your all lenses and buy a Leica R3 body for 100 dollars and a lens for 300. Your grandson would be happy to have a best working camera from that era. You will never want to buy a new camera. Toyota have many expensive or cheap models but if Mercedes offer itself to same price , dont miss the chance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    In my opinion , sell your all lenses and buy a Leica R3 body for 100 dollars and a lens for 300. Your grandson would be happy to have a best working camera from that era. You will never want to buy a new camera. Toyota have many expensive or cheap models but if Mercedes offer itself to same price , dont miss the chance.
    Or just pick up a Minolta XE7 as it's the same body at half price or less...

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a sucker for anything with the red dot on it but I need AF. Besides I'd want an R8 or R9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I'm also often tempted to diss Canon in favour of something more "film-like", as well as being a convinced Leica user, I certainly wouldn't recommend an R3 (with just any lens at that)!
    If someone is interested, I'd be more than happy to wax eloquent on the merits (or lack thereof) of the various Leica SLRs, but such a dogmatic statement is a wee bit embarassing for real Leica users.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    While I'm also often tempted to diss Canon in favour of something more "film-like", as well as being a convinced Leica user, I certainly wouldn't recommend an R3 (with just any lens at that)!
    If someone is interested, I'd be more than happy to wax eloquent on the merits (or lack thereof) of the various Leica SLRs, but such a dogmatic statement is a wee bit embarassing for real Leica users.
    +1

I'll be leaving my IIIf to grandchildren though....it's lasted this long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    Or just pick up a Minolta XE7 as it's the same body at half price or less...
    No, there are differences in internals, metering, mirror drive mechanism, etc. Both models reside in my house, and I've used an R3 for 32 years and compared the two cameras directly. The XE7 is about the same price as an R3 in the same condition where I live. The XE7 is a very nice camera, but they're not identical to the R3 despite what you may have read on the internet.

However, this thread is about Canon film bodies for EF lenses. I have my favorite older Canons, and I could nominate a number of models depending on needs, but I'm not familiar enough with the EF bodies to make a recommendation and leave that to those who are. The Leica R3 is a terrible mismatch for Canon EF lenses. They don't work well together, and there's a lot of light leakage when holding an EF lens in front of the R3 body. I would agree that the XE7 has nearly identical problems to the R3 when used with Canon EF lenses.

Lee

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin