Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,468   Online: 943

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Best canon film camera?

Let's say I love film so much, I want to invest hundreds of dollars on a canon film camera. One that will work my ef lenses too. What would you recc and why? And, what happens when you buy a film camera that is no longer made...what do you do about service? Would this be a reason to ditch canon alltogether and go with a camera that is still being offered? Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    any analog eos-camera will work with your EF-lenses (not EFs!).
    top-models are eos 1, eos 3, eos 5, ...

maarten.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    any analog eos-camera will work with your EF-lenses (not EFs!).
    top-models are eos 1, eos 3, eos 5, ...

maarten.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd get an EOS1-V, because it was the top of the line, with 100% viewfinder, etc... Also because it's recent, and therefore I'd expect it to last longer. But I'd try to know what it was used for, as I guess pros may have abused theirs.

My second choice would be an EOS3, for the same fact that it would be recent. I own one and it's the best Canon camera I've ever owned. (The second would be my T90 but it's using FD lenses and does no longer work !).

What I'd love to have would be an EOS3 WITHOUT :
    • all modes but Av, Tv and manual
    • All measuring modes but spot
    • All AF sensors but the center one

This would make my life even simpler, and I wouldn't regret using only 10% of my camera's features...
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Eos 1v. I don't think it gets much better when it comes to canon's analog lineup.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all. The eos 1-v looks very nice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't worry about support for these cameras for any meaningful period of time yet. Canon is still in business, still making cameras (albeit digital) that are otherwise fully compatible with the lenses and accessories the EOS film cameras used, and still making a full line of accessories that are compatible with these cameras. In my years of selling 35mm film cameras, some of the most durable cameras I ever handled were the Canon cameras. I'd also recommend looking at the A3/EOS 3 (depends on where you're located as to what they're called), because it has most of the features of the EOS 1n / 1v, but is much more likely to have been used gently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Canon EOS-1V is still current. You can still buy them new and I believe Canon will still service them. Canon will still service EF lenses as well, as long as they are of the current generation. For older ones the AF and IS motors are already out of production and Canon has run out of some so older generation lenses may be non-repairable by Canon though independent shops will still give them a shot.

I have a Canon EOS-1N RS and really like it though the 1V is better. The 1V is just still fairly expensive today, more than I wanted to pay.

Your other alternative these days is to go medium format. You can get kits for next to nothing at the moment. Get them while they still make 120 film...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I own two 1V's and three 3's. Both models are awesome, but I would suggest the 1V. It is just a better camera, and used and in good condition they can be had for a few hundred bucks. The 1v has a much better flashing algorithm; the E-TTL and it works great with the 550ex, 580ex and newer flashes. Nikon no longer can boast they have the best flashing system. Canon's E-TTL is very predictable, but like Nikon's not perfect. The 1V is a fantastic buy used! Don't go cheap on a body that you can use for decades....
    Coming back home to my film roots. Canon EOS-3 SLR, Canon EOS 1V SLR, 580ex flash, and 5D DSLR shooter. Prime lens only shooter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to toss one in the hat for the Elan 7Ne, as a back up perhaps, if you're shooting a 1 or a 3. I wanted an EOS 3 but found a good deal on an Elan 7Ne and I have been loving it ever since. It's kind of like the 50D of the film world (it was the EOS 30 in Japan) it even has similar dimensions and shapes to my bud's 50D. I saw the top part of it on a table and for a second thought he also had a 7Ne.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin