Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,964   Online: 877

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I am not looking what to buy/get - I already have F3 and M6 - I was just curious about cameras that have AP and full manual speeds when battery dies - because couple of days ago I was with my F3 in cold weather (-15C) for couple of hours and on the end I had only M80 speed (battery was ok - but it was just too cold for long time - when I was back in warm - battery was ok). I had to use F3, not M6 because I needed 105mm lens
    As Les sez, just get the Nikon anti-freeze kit. I use one for my FEs+F3s, as well as an extra MS-3 battery tray for the MD-4. AE? No problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Canon F1N- AE has a hybrid dimpled Titanium shutter that works without batteries at speeds from 1/90sec to 1/2000sec, and only requires batteries for the slower speeds.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked on ebay and a DB-2 sold for £1000!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nikon-DB-2-Anti-C...-/260699795582
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus OM4/4ti has mechanical speeds of 1/60th and B without batteries.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    35mm
    My Canonet QL17GIII works on all speeds without batteries, and I believe that it works in aperture priority mode, although I've never bothered to put a battery in mine.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Canonet QL17GIII has Shutter speed priority. I believe this was the more common form of automatic exposure mode available until Pentax ES introduced aperture priority mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Consider a lithium battery (CR-1/3N) for your F3. Lithium, unlike silver oxide or alkaline batteries, will take you deep into inhospitable temps. The LED of the F3 may not like such temps. I use the Nikon DB-2 (anti-cold, AA battery holder) occasionally but am afraid of breaking the connector/wire at the screw-in plug when temporarily storing the camera between shooting sessions, e.g. in a pack, etc. I can attest to the FM3a's reliability with and without batteries in temps well-below 0F. Fantastic camera in so many ways...except low-light meter reading.

Shooter
    35mm
    Aja, I believe you meant LCD instead of LED of the F3. BTW, what did you find lacking with the FM3A in terms of its low light metering?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fujica AZ-1 has manual shutters speeds of 1000, 250, and 60 without batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking further about this (my brain is in holiday mode). Aperture priority needs a working exposure meter, and meters need batteries to work, other than the long outmoded selenium type. Therefore there should be no camera on which aperture priority works without a battery. I have had cameras with built-in selenium meters - still have a Rollei 2.8F and a FED 5 - and they are all manual match-needle systems.

On the subject of battery choice: although cold is never a problem here in Oz, I have always used the lithium CR1/3N (aka 2L76, etc) where possible simply because they usually have a much longer life than silver or alkaline. And I always carry a spare - why do some people get hung up on the prospect of their battery dying during a shoot?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin