Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,248   Online: 1065

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    You obviously haven't seen a camera where the battery cover was badly scratched from someone who didn't have the proper size tool . . . ;-)

My Minolta SRT-101 has a battery cover that doesn't require any tools at all but all my other cameras do.

I've seen more cameras in the twenty four years I managed camera stores than you've had hot dinners, most cameras only need a small coin to open the battery compartment, I own four cameras that are totally battery depentant, a Canon A1 in which I have only had to change the battery three times in twenty two years I have owned it, and three Canon T90 bodys that use 4 AA batteries can buy anywhere, I also have two modern digital lightmeters both of which use a single AA battery you can also buy anywhere.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've seen more cameras in the twenty four years I managed camera stores . . .
    Good for you as that may make you the envy of others. Of course that doesn't say anything about what you've actually used and the conditions you've used it in and circumstances you've had to deal with in the use of the cameras. What it does say is that you may have access to camera gear where you possibly don't have to worry about such eventualities.

That you may not appreciate the engineering effort to conceive and manufacture a camera that can both have automation when battery is good and fully functional when it is not is of course your opinion. To be sure, there aren't many cameras that can and that speaks volumes to this achievement.

Regarding the hot dinners, it is my new year's resolution to again cut back on that even more . . . ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    most cameras only need a small coin to open the battery compartment
    Reminded me of the first time I ever went to Romania. I took with me an Olympus 35RC and during the trip the battery died - no problem as I'd bought along spares. But what I hadn't thought of was that Romanian coins are thicker than British ones and I had no British pennies on me. I couldn't find any shop that sold thin screwdrivers and my attempts at opening the compartment with a knife only scratched it. I had to guess the exposure for the whole trip.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Sarile View Post
    Good for you as that may make you the envy of others. Of course that doesn't say anything about what you've actually used and the conditions you've used it in and circumstances you've had to deal with in the use of the cameras. What it does say is that you may have access to camera gear where you possibly don't have to worry about such eventualities.

That you may not appreciate the engineering effort to conceive and manufacture a camera that can both have automation when battery is good and fully functional when it is not is of course your opinion. To be sure, there aren't many cameras that can and that speaks volumes to this achievement.

Regarding the hot dinners, it is my new year's resolution to again cut back on that even more . . . ;-)
    Les- I haven't just sold cameras for a living, but have been a keen practising photographer since I was thirteen years old, and my knowledge of these matters isn't just theoretical but practical, I'm now almost seventy two and in my career have been a professional engineer in the aircraft industry, an industrial, and wedding photographer, so I do appreciate the engineering complexity and attendant cost of producing a hybrid shutter which is why so few and mainly top range Pro quality cameras have them like the last model Canon F1-N which is IMO the best Hybrid shutter in a 35mm SLR ever made that even with flat batteries will give mechanical shutter speeds of from1/90sec. to 1/2000sec. and as far as I'm aware no other manufactures of 35mm cameras has ever produced one with such a wide range of speeds with dead batteries.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 01-03-2011 at 09:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Ben: '...Canon F1-N which is IMO the best hybrid shutter in a 35mm SLR ever made that even with flat batteries will give mechanical shutter speeds from1/90sec. to 1/2000sec. and as far as I'm aware no other manufactures of 35mm cameras has ever produced one with such a wide range of speeds with dead batteries.'

The Nikon FM3a offers its' entire range of shutter speeds without batteries, from 1 sec to 1/4000th. And in Aperture Priority, with batteries of course, it offers the same range 'steplessly'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    Ben: '...Canon F1-N which is IMO the best hybrid shutter in a 35mm SLR ever made that even with flat batteries will give mechanical shutter speeds from1/90sec. to 1/2000sec. and as far as I'm aware no other manufactures of 35mm cameras has ever produced one with such a wide range of speeds with dead batteries.'

The Nikon FM3a offers its' entire range of shutter speeds without batteries, from 1 sec to 1/4000th. And in Aperture Priority, with batteries of course, it offers the same range 'steplessly'.
    Thanks I wasn't aware of this one It must have come out since I retired, I'm a Canon FD user and I must admit haven't kept up with the more recent cameras since I stopped working.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Olympus OM-1.

Though its AP is manual too.
    i was going to say the same thing about a k1000
    im empty, good luck

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zeiss Ikon Contessa Cameras use no batteries at all and have a built in light meter. Granted they are 50mm range finders and have selenium light meters that can fail as well, but these cameras produce great photos.

I too wonder about this fear of batteries in the cold, I live in the Northeast of the United states, an area known for it's cold winters. I have been driving by a lake that is so frozen that people have been having parties with large fires on it for the past few weeks and I have been taking hikes of several miles and standing out in 14°F weather for hours taking photos and had no problems with batteries shutting down due to cold. If you are using a motor drive camera and shooting out in the cold the draw on the batteries alone should keep them warm enough to last until you decide it is too cold to shoot any longer.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    My OM2 has let me down several times, always when it gets unexpectedly cold and then bam, the camera doesn't work. At all. There is nowhere on the camera itself to carry spares, and what am I supposed to do, carry around spare batteries with the camera every where I go? That's not acceptable to me. It would be different if it was just the light meter that quit working; I don't need a light meter--I don't even bother to find mercury battery substitutes for my Canonet and OM1, because they work just fine without the meters. I use my OM1 bodies almost exclusively now. No matter how long they sit on the shelf or what the temperature, they just work. I agree that the culture of devices that have batteries and require attention as to their charge state is pervasive and that's why I don't want to bother with any camera that relies on batteries to function.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    As someone already mentioned, when your battery dies so does your aperture priority. Therefore I would recommend a Nikon FM2n which does not need a battery for the shutter and should be much cheaper than a FM3.

DaveO

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin